Anyone ever roll a track off a mini excavator?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by IronRanger, Sep 22, 2006.

1. IronRanger

IronRanger LawnSite Member

Hello, I am new here, looking to see if anyone has ever rolled a track off a mini excavator. I rolled one off a Kubota mini excavator today, 4 miles in the woods working on a very remote property with no road access. I am wondedring what has to be done to get this back on. Any

2. IronRanger

Any help would be appreciated, by the way it rolled off the drive sprocket side of it to the inside.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

give it a little some one can help sounds like a mess.

4. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

Let grease out of the idler cylinder pry the track back on and refill the grease cylinder

5. IronRanger

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you go about letting the grease out and what type do you put back in there. I am not really familiar with this machine, but I am pretty good with mechanical stuff. Does anyone know of a site that has the diagram of it?

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

It takes the same grease you use to grease the pins :)

I usually end up removing the zirk from the idler cylinder and using a pry bar or ramming it into something that won't move :)

7. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

Inside the track frame there will be a bolt with a grease Zerk in the end of it,loosen the nut NOT THE ZERK to let the grease out,that will let the idler slide back into the track frame,pry the track back on,tighten up the nut and use a grease gun to add grease to tighten the track back up.check your manual for track sag.

8. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

Like said let the grease out, get a few ~6' 2x4's to pry it on with. If you are in deep mud it really helps to lay some boards under the track so you can slide it around while putting it back on.

9. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Swing boom over the side where the track is off and use the the boom and bucket to raise the machine.Then use the travel to move the track that is off.

You will have to have help to get track started on sprocket .Do the remove grease thing first .Boom makes for great hydaulic jack !

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

My experience has been the bigger the mini the more fun it will be getting the tracks on. I threw both tracks while working at the waters edge near a river this summer. The easiest way to have even more fun than strapping 800 pound rubber bands to your excavator is to be standing in knee deep water and doing it.