1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever ruin the hitch on thier dump truck?!?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Husky05, May 30, 2006.

1. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I just did the stupidest dumbest thing I have done in a Lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllong time! I was in a hurry tonight trying to change the oil and sharpen the blades on all my equipment. I had a load of grass on my dump truck that I needed to unload so I went to dump it and didnt realize the tailgate was on top of the hitch. As the body was up in the air I noticed that the bed was not lifting right only to realize that I bent the hell out of my hitch and put a massive dent in my tailgate. I am soooooooo furious I dont know what I am going to do? I cant even hitch my trailers up to it now. The best part about this is I just bought this truck last March its brand new!

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

3. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I just ruined my tailgate Friday on my dumptruck. Bent it all up. There is no straightening it. It also pealed the bottom of my truck frame and I need to get the hitch jacked up, welded, and reinforced. I am getting a new tailgate fabricated by a local guy.

I was so mad at myself. More money out.

Tim

4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

See a lot of trucks around here with the same dent on the tailgate...

5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

why not check local salvage yards, they often have them cheaper and if you get lucky, the color may match, if not, have it sprayed. you'll have to paint a new gate anyway.

6. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

Bent ours about a week ago. New hitch came in today, I'll probably put it on tomorrow morning. Odd that this happens so often but nobody's figured out a way to stop it.

7. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Well after a grueling day and finally cooling down alittle I went around this morning trying to find a place that could fix my hitch that I so badly bent. After 3 different machine shops, I went to this local place that does welding. The owner was like well this tends to happen often dont feel bad I can fix it. This guy cut a half octogon shape off the 3/4 in steel plate for my hitch and cut a new face obviously bigger for it and welded it back on. Put new screws in for the hitch and took all my tail-lights off and re-welded all the joints again. After he was done he even painted it black again. It looks really good and you could tell that this guy was a true mechanic/machinest he really knew his stuff. It cost me 191 dollars even though I hate like hell to pay that, I guess that is a mistake you only do once. Now if I didnt have this huge dent in my tailgate I would feel much better, but hey at least it works.

8. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I rented a dump truck one time form a place that sells mulch and they did not show that there was a second safety chain to prevent accidental lifting. Tore the mount right off. It lifted no problem:laugh: Also, it must suck being number 5.

9. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Pictures.:)

10. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

some trucks ive seen have a triangular frame welded to the truck so the tailgate rests on the frame while it dumps.