Anyone ever started a printing business?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tinman, Nov 17, 2005.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Thinking about doing some printing as a side business. Since I use the service myself, why not? I know it is very competitive but it is not physically demanding & I like dealing with advertising and such. Thoughts.......?

2. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

What type of printing are you planning on doing? I actually have another job besides lawn care. I work for a large ink company that provides ink for printing companies. We mostly deal with large printing companies though. Just my two cents that you should work in printing before jumping into the service. I don't know what type of printing you're planning doing. Are you talking a printing press or a digital type computer printer? If you're talking about a press there is a lot to it. If you want to discuss it further you can feel free to pm me. Not trying to burst your bubble but there's a lot to it for someone just jumping straight into it.

3. tinman

from ga

Bubble intact:)
    You are right , there is always alot more involved than what it appears on the outside. I'm thinking biz cards, postcards, flyers, etc. On a good ( good for starting) digital type computer printer. I'll pm also.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

its fall is why i am here,

personal computers, many people print most items needed themselves,

design professionals are out of work, everyone with a pc thinks they are a graphic designer

competion, kinkos fed x, staples walmart, officemax copymax,

they can print jobs for cheaper then we could get the paper for......

end result, successful 60year old printing company closing.......

millions in equipment....apon resale almost worthless....

5. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Well, I can't help you much with the digital printing. I've only dealt with the big presses.

6. daveintoledo

thats the other side of the coin, to do big runs, you have to have an offset or web press,big money, and then you have to pay a good printer/journeyman to run them......one printer closed here last year, 100 years in business... one 50, one 60, they are dropping like flyes

7. daveintoledo

a digital printer will drink ink like you wont beleive, never be a profit, most use a toner setup, lease the machine, and pay a per copy cost to the company, then you find out that the same company is leasing the same machine to a compeditor, at half the copy cost, and you cant compete with that eithr...

or competiont sells the same print for 10 cents, or cost os 38 cents.....

8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

When a dog chases 2 rabbits, the end result is that they both get away.

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi tinman,

If you do decide to get into this, let me know and I will help you promote it :)

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>

10. tinman

from ga