Anyone ever tried a Drag Harrow Rake for dethatching??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by merrimacmill, Apr 1, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

I got the new northern tool catalog and was looking through the tractor attachments and I saw a drag harrow rake and they say this can be useful for dethatching. I've seen guys using these to finish dirt, or put seed into dirt when preping a lawn. But never herd of them being used for dethatching. Any opinions? I know a power rake is the best way to go, but what about those large lawns where a tractor mounted attachment of some kind just makes more sense?

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used fuerst flexible tine harrows for years, prior to seeding in the fall, they work great, cost little.

3. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

How much thatch does it bring up?

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

It varies, there are 3 settings, aggressive, passive, and upside down. Passive does a pretty good job for most reseeding type jobs. Problem with all drag harrows is that some areas get done 5-6X and some only get one pass, unless you have it set up on a lift mechanism.:waving:

5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I have used a drag (not from northern) for pastures. As far as a turf application. It might be worth a try.

6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking that I may try it out. Its fairly inexpensive, so it seems worth a try... They advertise de-thatching as one of the intended uses.

7. LindblomRJ

I am guessing you will have to work the lawn from two different directions to get the desired results.

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

check the link for jrco works the bomb

9. LindblomRJ

I am planning to build one. Three rows of teeth