Anyone ever tried Snapper's 4 stroke trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Apr 17, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I know some here swear by their Honda 4 stroke trimmers. Just curious how the Snappers perform, and if they're comparable to the Hondas.

2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

That's interesting!! I went on the web, can't get any details. It is quite heavy also, not lighter than the Hondas. A little cheaper. I am not sure about the B & S engine though.

Why? are you convert to a 4 cycler??:waving:

3. tb8100

from TX

not necessarily. I need to carry a 4 cycle at my store though, and I like to do my homework on a product before carrying it so I can sell with confidence. I don't sell products I don't believe in.

I don't know how much information you gleaned, but they are powered by the Briggs Fource engine, which I'm presuming is the same engine they put on the handhelds Briggs runs through TSC. I know nothing about them other than that.

4. yungman

from Calif.

Hey have you check out Robin, same as Dolmar and also under Makita?

http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/productcatalog/product/5086/index.html

http://www.robinoutdoorpower.com/pro-trimmers.htm

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=EM4251

I heard some good things about them. They all made by Robin far as I know and is good.

BTW they also have a giant 4 cycle blower.

5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Briggs owns Snapper so it is a rebadged Briggs trimmer.

Not worth crap.

6. magbarn

magbarn LawnSite Member

Yungman look closely at the manuals for the trimmers you posted. In fact, look at robin's handheld 4 cycle blower. That should look vaguely familiar to someone who uses a 4 cycle shindaiwa blower lol. I believe I tried out a trimmer once with a B&S 4 cycle motor. I don't believe it was snapper, but it was way too heavy for it's power output.

7. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Makita owns the most part of both companies (Dolmar, Robin)

The Dolmar blower is nothing like the Shindy, it is a Robin design and sold under Dolmar and Makita.

Again Briggs owns Snapper so the 2 trimmers are the same and yes they are junk.

8. yungman

from Calif.

Robin make all these and it is a true 4 cycle with separate oil. This is as far away from Shindaiwa as it can. Follow the link of Robin and open the parts pdf, you will see the break out of the engine. I wonder whether it is make by Subaru.

The Robin is lighter, about 12.5lb only. It is a little heavy, still lighter than Honda.

9. tb8100

from TX

Hold on a minute. Briggs owns Ferris too. Are they junk? How about Snapper commercial 21" walks? Snapper Pro mowers? Vanguard engines? To make a sweeping statement that just because Briggs owns a brand, it's automatically junk is ignorant to say the least.

Now, do you have any evidence that the two trimmers are the same, other than the Fource engine (which may or may not be junk, and if it is, please share your experience with it)?

10. yungman

from Calif.

Good or bad aside, Snapper trimmers are very heavy, sales won't be better than the Hondas base on track record!!! Or you just having it to fulfill some requirement?

You ruling out Robin?