1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever tried this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ccztrrider, Oct 26, 2008.

1. ccztrrider

ccztrrider LawnSite Member

To cut crab grass and other long stemed weeds, lower your blades so they are at the same level as the front of your deck. I did this on my Cub Cadet M48 Tank and it works perfect with the deck set at any height and using high-lift blades. This method eliminated any straglers that my mower otherwise would leave behind. You just have to be very careful about cutting areas that you know don't have any rocks or other objects that the blades might hit. But it did eliminate having to re-cut my yard. I'm curious as to whether anyone else has tried this with their mowers and what their results were..

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

never tried but i might in the future now that you suggested it

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I think the new cubs have the ability to change the front baffle to a higher postion for this reason. One thing I like about my XR7 deck is the ability to add my air containment baffle on the front, which puts the blades above the front lip and creates more suction for nice turf grass, and run without it far weedy/stemy grasses.

4. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, sounds like too many scalping issues...........

5. ccztrrider

ccztrrider LawnSite Member

Yes, the new Cub Cadets 'Select cut system' has a front baffle that you can adjust up or down. I haven't seen it yet but the pictures I saw show the blade is a bit lower than the actual deck when the baffle is raised...That's were I got the ideal.