Anyone ever use a Ryan GA 30 aerator???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GREENITUP, Dec 4, 2007.

1. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

I Have an opportunity to buy a Ryan GA 30 ride on aerator for (what I think is) not much $$$. They look like golf course machines only... Anyone ever use one? Large fields? Residential? Hills? Any unusual maintenance issues? Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated? Thanks....

2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Dude, I know more about these machines than I care too.
    There is a bunch of wear items and specific points to be careful of depending upon the power plant and condition of the tine holders and cam gear.
    Call me at 830-305-0339 (cell) if you want more information.
    I, in turn, need the engine manufacturer and you to provide a clear, non biased report on the machines' condition.
    Peace,
    Steve

3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

They are pretty slow. You may want to check out production rates. Pull good plugs, as they are on a cam system with down pressure, but tend to me needy in the mechanical department. You may want to look at a Plugr (sp.?) or even a LawnAire 28, which is a compromise between a greens aerator and lawn machine. Good luck.

4. GREENITUP

Thanks for the advise - what wear points should I be most leery of. It has a Kohler 18 hp engine. I have yet to crawl around on it - was told it can do 28k an hour. Of course, for most aerators that translates to 50-75% of that in real life use. As for other walk behinds.... I currently have a Plugr 800 and like it a lot.... easy to maintain and pulls great plugs. I have also run the la 28's more than I care to remember.... I'm still worn out from those days - and that was 7 years ago! :drinkup:

5. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

6. GREENITUP

BUMP.
    Anyone else have experiance with these machines???

7. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Don't bother unless all your lawns are flat - these units aren't good on hills. They were made for golf courses, not lawns. And 28K per hour isn't much. You can do much better than that with a Turfco TurnAer and a sulky. Bonus - the TurnAer almost never break down.

8. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Theres one in my area for 1800 bucks