Anyone ever use One Ap?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnTamer, Feb 27, 2009.

1. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Hi everybody,
    Whoopass and I attended a conference today. There was a rep from Agrium Advanced Technologies, out of the Chicago area. He was pushing a product called One Ap.

One Ap is a 36-0-6 w/ 8% N-fate and 3% sulfur, you can also get it with prodiamine. It uses a proprietary coating that lasts up to 180 days, it relies on heat, and bacterial action for breakdown. The product is aptly named, as the whole Idea is that you only make one HEAVY application (about 2.5#N/k) and this feeds the lawn for 6 months. I was a little skeptical, but he had pics of lawns 5-6+ months after application date and they looked fabulous!

So, I am thinking, at the very least, this has merit for apps on commercial properties, as well as maybe pushing it as a 'green' option, as the slow, constant release of fert all but eliminates leaching and volitalization, as well as dentrification, you end up using 40-50% less total product.

Has anyone tried this stuff? Thoughts?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If it really worked... It sounds good to me! Even if it lasted just most of the year, and then come back in late october/first of november and made a 'winter' application of just normal fert.

Of course you would still have to check in on the properties for weed pressure, but for guys that don't make their living spreading fert every day, it sounds like a winner to me. I'd love to be able to apply a good preemergent with a season long lasting fertilizer, around the end of March, when I have all kinds of time to do it.

I wonder what the costs on such a product is, and availability?

I'm looking hard at MESA this year, for my 2nd and 3rd apps. Price wise, it's not out of the ballpark like I thought it would be. A little $$ extra would be well worth it to me if it kept growth down and kept the turf a darker green and longer.

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

It is expensive. On unirrigated properties the recommended rate would cost about $5.50/k (that is with prodiamine), on irrigated properties you need to go a little higher, so it costs about $7/k.

Of course a sales rep is going to show the pics that look favorable, but these lawns were beautiful, very thick and healthy.

One big plus would also be that you wouldn't have any growth spikes... you know, the ones you get for 2-3 weeks after using urea.

4. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

We have been using it for the part year, and yes guys it does work, it works great on our condos and townhomes that are large, if you have any questions just let me know.

5. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I'll let you know later this year. I'm using it on a 24 acre irrigated facility (the one with prodiamine) I'm a skeptic.......We'll see:)

6. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

How do you guys price it? I get paid per application. Is it a money maker or are you using it to get the other maintenance work?

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

that cost would be hihger than i even get for the jobs in some cases. the product loks greeat, the price tells me forget about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is just plain crazy. i use a 70% slow release N that degrades the same way and it is not even near the price of $5-7 per K. no way. you would have to charge more that round just to break even!

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If you add up what 4 apps of fert cost, it's about the same. You could make one app in the spring, and then CHARGE the customer like normal every 2 months for fertilizer applications. Like a payment plan.

Your labor is cut by 75%, and now you can use the time that was spent spreading fert every 8 weeks to make other money. Of course you would have to spray the weeds at some point... And the situation I'm describing would only work in an ideal world...

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, i may check into this. what i use does similar thing and i have cut down on fet use in other apps. always looking for better at cheaper. results always wini over price though.

10. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

If your looking for a product that will work like this use something that has lots of years behind it like Polyon by Purcell which is actually owned by Agrium. You will get amazing staying power, your looking at like $50.00 for a fifty # bag. If you need more info I still have a nice program saved that actually shows how it breaks down it's a nice selling tool due to it's cost.