Anyone ever use Southern Gold grass seed.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by dKoester, Aug 12, 2006.

1. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

How did it turn out?

2. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

One of our customers once re-did the front yard, got 30 cy of topsoil and used the Southern Gold seeds. We just cut /fert / aerate, she is re-seeding with Southern Gold every fall. Grass looks good, didn't need to water at all this summer.

John

3. dKoester

Thanks a whole lot for the help John. Your state is producing some great strands of Fescue like Tarheel 2. I just haven't used Gold yet and wanted some actual user info. Thanks again.

4. envirolandscape

envirolandscape LawnSite Member

I have used Southern Gold in my own yard and had great success with it. I wish I could find it available commercially. Great mildew resistance and wonderful germination rate. Good stuff but expensive.

5. ricsin1

ricsin1 LawnSite Member

SOUTHERN GOLD.... I went to one of the do it yourselfer major store in atlanta to find some.... I heard EXCELLENT THINGS about this brand............ i was set to buy either this Southern Gold or Lesco Transition Blend...

for some reason all the Southern Gold was locked up - like it was BANNED - andn they had these blue labels on them with a sign across them that said DO NOT SELL?? i was wondering what the heck was going on ... is this stuff super grass or something... of course the little 20 yr old working in that section didnt know a thing about why they couldnt sell this..........?

6. dKoester

And Now 3 years later I know this is awesome fescue.

7. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it absolutely is.

8. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I had great results with it. Holds up to the heat well

9. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

enviro - try looking for Confederate seed - made by same people TurfSeed Inc. (bought by Scotts couple of years back). Same blend last time I checked a few years back. Good stuff. Lesco Transition is good too but I like the Confederate/Southern Gold better.