1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone ever use tru-cut 21" rotary

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnartisan, Apr 4, 2006.

1. lawnartisan

lawnartisan LawnSite Member

anyone ever use tru-cut 21" rotary self propelled commercial mower. If so how does this stack up against honda or toro exmark? Seems to look to bag well by the look of deck design.
  2. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Is it a 4 cycle or 2 cycle engine? The tru cut.......
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly I don't see why there isn't more talk about them. They LOOK like one of the strongest built 21" mowers I have seen. I have never seen one in person, don't even know if there is a dealer in 500 miles of me.
  4. lawnartisan

they sell it with the honda 5.5, 5 and briggs 6.5 im curious about bagging and tranny reliability. i guess its an aluminium deck. I just found out the clutch lever is mounted on the left side kinda like snapper but the other side.. unlike the honda and toro the clutch lever goes all the way across which comes in handy when you step to the side near wall and trees. Im just curious of anyone whose got feedback by comparison.
  5. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

Looks good, But I have never seen one in my part of the country
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

It looks like the old fashioned Sensation deck, they had avg. suction (back in the day) at best but were very sturdy. Their claim to fame was the handles were mounted on the middle of the deck and flopped from one side to the other so you didn't have to turn the whole mower at the end of a row. Sometimes the catcher was out front sometimes at your feet, of course the catcher was fixed to the deck not the handles. I run Tru-Cut reel mowers and they are very dependable mowers, but I don't think they would share any drive components like transmission.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I think they have a Snapper-type transmission system.I am getting mor info. on them from the local distributor, as we may start selling them at our store.
  8. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We have had 6 or 7 of them. We cut mainly St.Augustine with them. I too thought they were bombproof (and if you got the one that is not self propelled, I'm pretty sure it would be). We got the self propelled ones and have decided they can't handle the abuse my guys heap on them -

1) Cut is good
    2) Nice bagging mower (but who wants to bag)
    3) Sturdy deck

1) Tranny
    2) Cables

Filled in with some Snappers for a while and now purchasing Toro's with 6.5hp kawasaki. Bottomline - I wouldn't buy a trucut selfpropelled, again.
  9. lawnartisan

thanks for the info bullethead. I jsut started business and i got the toro proline from a freind recently with the older kawasaki 6hp engine, the good ones with more torque. and i love it; but its old and thought it would be cool to try somethin new. I think my next will be the toro with the honda. they say there a little torqier thand the new kawasaki but less rpm and ground speed. but i have alot of biweekly yards so i want torque. But those 6.5 can go darn fast if you adjust the carb and tack them up. It can be too fast!!!! but i think my buddy's engine is gonna blow runnin it like that.
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You will not be happy with the Honda. It has no torque at all compared to the newer Kawasaki. Try a new Kawasaki-powered Toro. They have tons of torque.