Anyone ever used Bobcat soil conditioner?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by FIRESCOOBY, Sep 10, 2005.

1. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I am renting one in a couple of weeks along with a 250 skidsteer. I have been told it is like a Harley Rake, but I've never used one of those either.

I am clearing and prepping about 4-5k square feet for Fescue seeding.

Anyone have any information or tips on this?

Thanks

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcat is now making compost? J/K :):)

3. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

I run the harley rake on a 3pt hitch, My preference

I have a good friend that runs the harley rake on a skid steer and
    THE BOBCAT RAKE IS VERY DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!
    particularly in how the end plates are mounted, the only place to mount the plate on the bobcat brand is on the front and most of the operators prefer to use on the back(skid steer side)

usually you run the machine forward to break-up the soil and then make a pass in reverse to finish the bed, angling the rake to one side to keep you excess and rocks debris etc worked over in a windrow. The bobcat "soil conditioner" is inferior in this process. The friend of mine rented a bobcat brand while his "harley rake" was being repaired and hated it. You may be able to improvise with the bobcat rake, but IT IS NOT THE SAME AS A HARLEY RAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobcat has gone so far as to make it difficult to attach a harley rake brand (glencoe makes the rake) to a new bobcat with their new 7 pin system. If you want to run a true harley rake you must purchase a older style 14 pin system and install on your machine. You can still keep the 7 pin on the machine.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with above statements, the Harley is much better than Bobcat's version.

5. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Get in touch with CoastalGreenscapes. I am pretty sure that I have seen some pictures of some prep work that he did with a Bobcat Soil Conditioner. He should be able to tell you how it works versus a Harley Rake.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I talked to a guy today with the BobCat rake. He sold his Harley and likes the bobcat a lot better...Go figure :)

7. jmf

jmf LawnSite Member
    from ny

I'd like to get some updated input on this item. Are there anymore out there who are using this attachment?

jmf

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Harley on tractor I like better. With the skid you go forward to rough grade and then must go backwards to finish. Every try looking backwards with a skid when he should be watching the rake.

tractor at least everything is going forward, better visiablitt and ease of use.

9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer the Cat soil Conditioner, the hydraulic drive motor is up high, Bobcat's is a direct drive and it sticks out of the side, hit a tree, and it shears off.

I do love the way it works, even in wet soils, I keep the drum spinning in the opposite direction I am travelling, and then go in reverse and it feathers out the soil and track marks.

This is a Bobcat Soil Conditioner I rented earlier this Summer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeVWAY1PJUo

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

With either one... you are either looking at the rake or looking where you are going. Tractors suck.