anyone ever used this?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by TClawn, Oct 9, 2004.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

It's called the fertile earth advanced landscape nutrition system, and is supposed to feed your lawn constantly through out the year.

all you have to do is just connect it to the main line right after the backflow preventer. if I could sell people this system for say $300 dollars a pop, I could make some quick money. what do you think?

2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't seen that brand, but have thought about using the Fertigator system myself. Here's a link to Fertigator.

http://fertigator.com/

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

YES! We just got one last week. I got the first one the rep put on the shelves at our local supplier. He gave it to me for free because I was excited about it and we do so many irrigation system installs.

My irrigation supplier knows I've been asking about fertigation systems for months. I even posted a thread about it here a few months back. So when this rep. came in the other day I happened to be there and he talked with me for an hour, explaining how it worked, how to install it, how much it cost, etc.

Haven't had a chance to install one yet. We are already in the middle of 3 irrigation jobs now and it's too late to install this fertigation system on these sites because we didn't use an RP device as the backflow. But I am definitely going to show my "demo unit" to every new irrigation install customer we get. I plan to sell the heck out of these things. I think they're great! I'm definitely installing one in my own irrigation system by next spring.

I have the list in my truck, but I think the install kit is only $150.00 or so, my cost. But keep in mind that in most locales you have to install an RP device as the backflow if you are going to inject fertilizer into the water. For us, that's the only downside. Because an RP device costs a little more to install than a Double Check Valve, which is the standard in these parts.

4. Critical Care

Jim, you should send that fertigation rep this way. I haven't seen any of these devices out here and I wouldn't mind being the first on the block to use them as well... if they are worth it.

You mention RP, but I suppose that wouldn't mean having to change out all existing DCVAs to RPs. Ugh, that would be a chore.

5. JimLewis

I will look for his card and pass his contact info. on to you.

Yah, it's a chore to retrofit a system with it because it means digging up and removing the DCVA, and installing a new, above-ground, RP device somewhere. THEN, you can install the fertigation system. Makes it cost quite a bit more for the client. So it's a tougher sale to those with existing systems. But I still think the benefits are worth it. They have some really nice sales material that helps sell it for you.

I will try to sell it to our existing maintenance customers. But I am pushing it more on new irrigation installs - because it's a lot less expensive to install one right from the get-go than it is to retrofit it later.

6. TClawn

I'm going to install the one this weekend. I can't wait to see how it works! :)

7. TClawn

btw, out here it's not to hard to retrofit a system for the fertigator. everybody uses a backflow preventer, instead of a double check valve.payup payup

8. JimLewis

Everyone out in Hawaii uses an RP Device?

9. Critical Care

Thanks Jim. If you find the information on the Fertigator rep I would really appreciate it. Perhaps it could open something up for me out here... after the snow melts.

Yep, that would be a chore having to dig up and switch out all the DCVAs to RPs. Oye vey! Perhaps sub that part out to an eager beaver plumber, eh?

10. TClawn

hmmm.... I've never heard of an RP device. is it abbreviation for something else or what?

according to the manual that came with it it says that you need to have an anti-siphon or back flow preventer, which everybody here has.