Anyone Familar with the Dixon ZTR disk drive system?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by summej, Sep 16, 2007.

1. summej

summej LawnSite Member

Ok I have figured out the steering adjustment on the cup/ cone drive transaxle unit on my early 80's Zero Turn Dixon ZTR 429 and got it to steer straight. I want to sell this thing as soon as I get it running decent before it needs a 300 dollar electric clutch- It is a nice little machine but I really don't need it.

Anyway It sat out in the rain for 2 weeks at a local mom and pops mower shop (Don't get me started here) I just wanted them to adjust the carb and tune up the Kawasaki motor and the mechanic was crying about working on it. (Yeah I know). I finally went and got it. I boght a used carb and coil and fixed the motor myself. Now its making a feirce noise in the Transaxle assembly. To me it sounds like a bearing but I can not see a bearing without taking the whole thing apart. When I apply preasure on the controls to go FWD or Backward the loud screatching noise stops.

Does Anyone have any experience taking this Disc drive assembly apart on The Dixon? If so where is the bearing located? i have no dealer neaby and I really don't want to sink to much more $$ in this thing.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to say it but I won't work on these either, For (you know) reasons.

You can download the operator's manual that may have adjustments etc. or the parts manual that will show the break-down and where what is located.

http://www.dixon-ztr.com/node2475.aspx

Good Luck

3. summej

summej LawnSite Member

Well the sad part about this whole ordeal is that originally there was nothing wrong with the disk drive Transaxle- I just wanted hem to tune the Kawasaki FC 420 motor. After sitting out in the rain for 45 + days at their shop- now I have a bad bearing somewhere in the drive assembly, and they never touched the motor.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

MAN....I can't have one sit here more than a couple days before the customer is calling to see if it's ready....:dizzy:

5. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Did you check the belt(idler pully) on the drive? If it's not that, then it's a primary bearing thats on the drive cone shaft. Maybe the shaft has dropped for some unknown reason & engageing the the drives onto the cones force the shaft back to where it used to be? Does the sound stop as soon as you push the controls slightly or only after you get going up to speed? It could be a drive bell clanging around untill there forced down onto the cones when engaged. Could the repair shop have tinkered with the mower dive while setting up? Or does the repair shop have kids(family) that may had abused the mower while it sat there? Kids find that it's a blast to run the hell out of smaller Zero turn mowers(PLAY on them...tear em' up!)

6. summej

summej LawnSite Member

That is exactly what it is doing...-the drive belt yo yo ing around all over the place when the motor is idling in neutral. I replaced the idler pulley on the drive belt with a ne one -I also replaced the small drive belt but I replaced it with an automotive belt and I am thinking maybe it stretch. (I took the original belt off and had the auto parts store match it up since I do not have a dixon dealer near by.) I am going to try and readjust the cones
    right now since I am now getting some hopping when I move FWD or Reverse. I need to tue the disks up so they are completely straight.

Yes there are small kids at this shop that run around-I have seen them there. I am sure that those kids took my ZTR for many virtual rough rides-but I could never prove it.

7. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Check that the pulley on the bottom of the drive cone shaft is not bent in on one side...a squeezed-in pulley will cause the belt to ride uneven in the pulley trac & cause it to bounce around wildly. Only when it's under a load will it smooth out. Come to think about it...check the clutch pulley as well!

8. summej

summej LawnSite Member

ok... i put a new drive belt on and the belt chatter is gone. The belt was too stretched and had to much slack in it. the mower idles fine now but as soon as i try to engage the disk cups (try to go fwd or reverse) i get all kinds of clanking and loud chatter . the mower steers fine but the noise and vibration is overwhelming. I have adjusted the disks several times but I can not get the chatter to go away. It looks to me like the Disks are not hitting the drive cone/ball smoothly.z

I really don't want to put any more $$$ in this machine -I have already dumped several hundred in it.

9. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

Ok. Now it sounds like the bottom cone has come apart. Did you get a real good look at this bottom cone? The top is easy to inspect, but the bottom is alot harder. I'll wager that the bottom cone has a chunk missing out of it. Try engaging only one lever (engage a drive bell onto the top cone) i'll wager that it will not make noise. Now go the opposite way(same lever) this will engage the drive bell up to the bottom cone. If it clanks & clatters then it's the cone itself. Other things to check out....Are the bearings tight(no slop) on the drive bell shafts? I have one side that ate up 3 shafts by the bearings spinning a groove in the shaft where they came in contact. If they are not wore out the then start checking the chain sprockets. One or more could be wore out to the point that the chains will jump the wore out teeth causing all kinds of banging, jerking sounds & viberations.

10. summej

summej LawnSite Member

The large drive Chains are fine. I had a problem with them 6 months ago but I tightened the Idlers up and now they are fine. I know it is not the chains skipping since I am familar with that sound. I tried the best that i can to inspect the bearings on the disk cup shaft, i can not see any obvious play or binding going on with the bearings on the disk cups.
    Something that sends up a red flag is the drive belt....The Drive belt that was partially shredded and stretch only had about 2hrs on it before it ran out of life;however, I did have to change the original Drive belt tensioner pulley since it shattered (the new one is steel-the original one was plastic)

I do not have the disk cup adjustment gauge to adjust the cones but I was able to adjust the transaxle fine before with no problems by just eyeing it with a tape measure.

?? How much clearance should there be between the disk cup and balls when the machine is in neutral?

I will inspect the lower ball but I was able to fine tune the disk cups to stop the hopping when moving FWD or RVERS.