1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone familiar with Baroness reel mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Az Gardener, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

KSTONE LawnSite Member

Wow, that is a true thing of beauty.
  3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

That is an off shore knock off of the Jacobsen PGM series of walk behind greens mowers.
    I have no idea what the price is for one of these knock off's, but a decent PGM22 or 26 will set you back at least $1800.00.
    I also do not know if the rollers on that knock off are compatible with either the Douglas or Whylie brand rollers available here in the USA.
    All the weight means is the drive roller is hollow, not filled with an inert material - no big thing to correct. The only draw back to a hollow drive roller is the mower will tend to bounce resulting in a wash board cut. If this happens, slow down and don't let the mower bounce or keep enough lifting pressure on the handle to prevent the front roller from floating on the turfgrass.
    One last thing to consider, the grooming attachment that is a select powered (meaning you can turn it on or off) is NOT a verticutter, is not meant to penetrate the crown of the turfgrass like a true verticutter does, and those tines wear extremely quickly.
  4. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the Jake knock off, have you seen the reel mowers that Hustler now offers.
  5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

No I have not, are they pull behind or greens type? I need some more something. I just put another rig on the road and picked up a new account with just under an acre of 419 that the owner wants reel cut. It backs up to the Biltmore golf course.

We cut a pretty fair amount of grass with the reels but all with 25" & 27" tru cuts. Most lawns are under10-K sq. ft.but this one is big and open. I'm always looking for something better.