1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone feel burned out? Having the I hate this job attitude?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lennonpaul, Jul 9, 2004.

1. lennonpaul

lennonpaul LawnSite Member

Hey guys, just wondering how many of you are just really tired and sick of the phone calls, the free estimates, the maintenance, the employees, the overhead cost, oh yeah and THE WORK. Am I the only one or are their others frustrated out their. We do more then just cut lawns, we do drainage, walls, patios, landscape installs and it just seems to continue to get real tiring
    and stressfull in contrast to the money brought in.
    Ok Im done venting anybody else care to vent?
  2. viking72

viking72 LawnSite Member

No, not at all.
    Hope you have fun now, winter will be here soon enough.
  3. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

I feel that way all the time about my day job. I can't hardly make it thru the day so that I can start cutting. Keep the attitude up and go for it.
  4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Find a type of work you enjoy and you will never work a day for the rest of your life. If you are have a hard time liking what you are doing now it is time you consider a career change. An unsatisfied worker will never perform the quality of work as someone that likes what they are doing.

Sorry to be so blount
  5. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

yes, mon-fri 8-5. those are my day job hours. I hope when my lawn business is full time that I remember how I feel working this job. I never feel this way when I'm doing lawn and lanscape work. Some of the things you've listed are not my favorite things to do, but the work itself is like taking a break from life.
  6. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah the last two weeks I have done a really crappy job weedwhacking. I noticed it yesterday. I have been like ehh whatever if thats not even over there.

No compliants though. I think that our standards are much higher than customers. Still I feel bad about it.

I will snap out of it.
  7. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I have been feeling like "lennonpaul" for the last two years.

Business sucks, my attitude sucks, etc...

It's easy to say, "just find something you enjoy and you will never the rest of your life" YEAH right. When you're in this business for twelve years and mortgage and family are involved, you are in this business.

Customers, jobs, mowing, trimming, all are something that is not worth it. Been wanting to sell out and start with something else. But what?

I hate my attitude but it takes time to change it.
  8. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I do .Beendoing this for 11 yrs.I hate it, but the $$ keeps me going
  9. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

I enjoy most of the time in the business.We always have bad days and then snap right back into the good days.It's a profession we apparently all chose so why complain...
  10. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

Guys I feel your pain, my wife and I have been at this for 24 years. We are long past burn-out, we do it because we must.
    I'm always searching for something I can do that will be fun and enjoyable, the problem is, fun and enjoyable work won't pay my bills. The lawn business in my area is a joke, in 1980 the going rate was $15 for an avg. yard today it's $25, thats a $10 increase in all most 25 years. (ridiculous) The equiptment we use is what makes it even close to profitiable. Some day I hope to find the right "thing" that will get me out of this.