anyone feel like this?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnhoney, May 9, 2005.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with olderthandirt completely
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The key is in your profile:
    just my husband and myself , we are doing this for extra income....

do this as your only source of income,and you'll see that giving your services away for free won't put food on your table.
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Well, actually lawnhoney, olderthandirt and Major Tom are right. We SHOULD do only what the customer wants because folks will take advantage of you. I just have trouble leaving a yard sloppy looking. However, Im not going to spend a LOT of extra time if Im not making a decent profit off the yard. Sad thing is, some folks just dont care what their yard looks like as long as they can walk to the car or mailbox. Its good though that you feel that way, just dont let clients take advantage of your "caring" attitude. I know I do extra things I should not do but thats just me. Enjoy the ride here, it gets bumpy sometimes! :D
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

BTW, you need to read olderthandirts post sometime back "do you really care about your customers" and think about it!
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

but i will offer them a deal on cleaning up, or whatever needs done, sell it to them......
  6. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with olderthandirt also. Although it is important to leave your signature for your work, at what point do you stop giving away work for nothing. Try selling your time to clean up the rest of the mess is about all you should do. Only do the job you are hired to do.
  7. lawnhoney

lawnhoney LawnSite Member

Hi Mac , I totally hear what you're saying and I got your point I do agree. : :blush:
  8. lawnhoney

lawnhoney LawnSite Member

just read all of your posts and didnt want to give the wrong impression , money is important and quality work cant be beat. I would not do this on a regular basis . I was just looking for your thoughts and I definetly got them! Thanks for the input ! :rolleyes:
  9. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

Working for nothing is bad for your pocket and leaving a yard that does not look good is bad for your reputation....

adjust your estimates accordingly.....
  10. anothertractor

anothertractor LawnSite Member

I have been thinking about this myself. Most of my customers at this time want the grass knocked down and that is it. I am waiting for those customers that do care. I have been doing only what the customer wants and charging them accordingly. I try to sell them other services like blowing out the beds and do a spring cleanup. They say No thanks. I have been known to remove the magnets from my truck so people don't see me servicing these horrible looking properties.