anyone feel like this?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnhoney, May 9, 2005.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The problem with maintenance is most home owners can do it themselves. So all you have to offer them is time, time to do other things than work in there yards. So you need to sell your biz that way, as a time saver. Ask what they would prefer doing, spending the day on the boat thats sitting in there drive or the camper that there or work in the yard? Have a photo album with you to show them before and after pics of what you can do to make there house look great. Don't count on a web site they have to see it as your selling it to them. Sell it as a way for them to make money not pay out money, great looking landscaping increases property value up to 20% in some cases so instead of paying you a few thousand they are really making 15-20 k. payup Its all about sales 90% of what maintenance consist of is SALES if you can't sell it then you can't do it :D
    BTW- nothings sweeter than honey :p

2. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

otd-spoken like a true business veteran. I'm proud of ya.

3. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

Olderthandirt is my LS hero. Honest and no BS.

I do not give anything away anymore. Have one customer who is an OBGYN, wanted me to haul away her leaves from last fall which she has placed in piles. I said sure for $95. She goes "but you are hear already and it will cost you nothing more than your TIME". I asked her, if someone comes in for a checkup and gets a full physical does she bill more, "of course I am providing more service...ohhhh". I got paid.

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Every lawn I mow has MY name on it. I don't leave till I'm satisfied. The bar is high for me, so I know if I leave satisfied, chances are they are too.