anyone find an easy way to dump clippings into their trucks??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 97Stroker, Jul 11, 2001.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

First do a search on mulching as its been discussed here many times.

I have not bagged a lawn since 96. As long as the lawn looks neat without obvious clumps the customer wont care where the clippings went. If it becomes an issue most municipalities and/or manufacturers have literature for the asking on the benefits of mulching vs bagging, most of it pretty convincing I might add.

This past season was the first season where I mulched more leaves in the fall than hauled. Two trips to the leaf dump total vs. twenty or thirty in past years.

Whether its mulching or double blading once you discover how much time and money you save not having to handle debris you will kick yourself for having bagged at all.

2. why not get a small truck loader? find a place either on the truck, or on the tongue of the trailer, and mount it.

3. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

there is a co. that makes trailers with the hydraulic dump and clipping box.i think they are called clipping king.there is also a co. that makes hydraulic lifts for the walker box so it will raise up to 6 ft and dump fight into the truck.i like the double gate idea,gonna have to do it to my trailer soon.

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

klipping king trailers --------well built ,, i researched them but too expensive for the amount of clippings that i collect

vac loader sounds like a good solution

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Wow, that's alot of grass to bag and remove! Everything I've read says that mulching is the way to go. The small, mulched grass clippings break down and are good for the lawn. I'd find something on the net, or a book (Ortho has a book on "Lawns". It's part of a whole series of books they make), and show it to the customers if they don't seem to buy it when you tell them.
    As someones else already mentioned, check with your local municipality to see if they have some sort of information packet. Heck, I seem to even recall commercials on tv when I was younger promoting mulching over bagging.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ask yourself this. Do they pick up clippings on golf courses?(other than on the greens) Do they bag Wrigley field, or Yankee stadium? The answer is no. Tell that to your customers too. Also tell them about the proven studies that up to 1/3 of the total nitrogen content can be depleted from the soil if the clippings are all bagged up all the time.

7. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

HELLO EVERYONE WE HAVEN'T BAGED IN YEARS.WE MULCH EVERYTHING. YOU MIGHT WANT TO USE MULCHING BLADES AND AT THE SAME TIME YOU CAN BAG. IT WILL CUT YOUR CLIPPINS DOWN.WE USED TO LAY A CHEAP BLUE TARP DOWN ON THE GROUND AND DUMP THE CLIPPING ON IT. WHEN YOUR DONE CUTTING YOU AND A CO-WORKER CAN WRAP IT UP THE A GIANT TACO AND PUT IN THE BACK OF YOUR TRUCK AND DUMP IT. IT'S QUICK AND CHEAP. PEACE...;)

8. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

There's definitely a time and a place for side discharge and I wish I could do more of it, but I don't have the time to be mowing these lawns twice or running around with a backpack blowing off clumps of grass. Have been using the rear deflector on the Walker more, but it's still not a big part of what we do. There's a guy in my area with a Clipping King, but he can only fit 1 Walker on it, too small. In terms of Golf courses or Fenway Park or Wrigley, you can't compare weekly mowing with daily mowing. If I were mowing my customers daily or even twice a week, I'd mulch constantly, but that's not the case

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

"I don't have the time to be mowing these lawns twice or running around with a backpack blowing off clumps of grass. "

Funny how you find time to stop, empty the bag, load the truck, stop, drive to the dump/transfer station, stop and wait for the attendant to finish picking his nose, et al.

You will probably find, as I did, that the occasional double cut (only areas that need it) or quick walk around the yard with a blower takes less time than you are already spending handling clippings.

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Thelawnguy, I agree with you 100%. I haven't bagged a thing since 1994. I also don't mulch, all side discharge and an OCDC is all you need along with double blades. I think most of you have seen the lawns I mow and they are not trashy lawns that we do. I have had Zero complaints on how we do this.