1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

anyone find an easy way to dump clippings into their trucks??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 97Stroker, Jul 11, 2001.

1. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Bill,
    I have to disagree with you for many reasons. You don't know my clients and I don't know yours.
    I own a Walker GHS and a Toro Proline 44 walkbehind. The Walker bags the Toro is SD.
    The following is MY examples to try and MAKE SOME SENSE for you.
    I have a small client base and some of my clients require that I bag clippings because of swimming pools or areas that discharging is not always practical as under pine trees that have high acidity. I do not bag many and my Walker is set up with a no catch deflector so I can discharge. Unnecessary-NO.

My clients require that I bag and remove thatch from the yard in the spring. I do not remulch all of the thatch that I dig up out of the lawn as I know some guys do. I also bag and remove leaves from properties in the fall. I average between 75 and 100 per hour doing this.
    Unprofitable -NO.

When it is time to bag there is nothing better and faster. There is no double cutting, hardly any slowing down and the end result is a clean lawn.
    Waste of time-NO

My equipment is set up for me and it is very profitable and easy for me to bag if I have to. Not many other Z's can do it as easy or as well as my Walker can without adding oversized blowers and extra motors to drive them. My clients want a high level of service and this is there idea. Yours may have different ideas but then again we are in different markets.

Oh ya, I hope I wasn't too opinionated also.

3. I have not bagged since 1991 when I bought a gear drive Toro with a 48" recycler deck. That unit was superseded in 1995 buy a 52" SD deck. The SD decks mow cleaner and faster than the dedicated recycler.

The main reason that people still bag it that their equipment just can't cut it. Or they are stuck in some time warp or maybe they can't admit they have made a $10k mistake when they could have bought a used walkbehind for $700 that can do a better overall job in ALL conditions.

4. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

Anyone relying on used equipment is clearly not doing this for a living, and if you think that a Walker is a 10 K mistake then you should not give up your day job.

5. charrod

charrod LawnSite Member

Go to walkermowers.com and read recent "walker talk". They discuss several methods and systems for managing clippings....and they have PICS showing these in operation!

6. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

But here is a quote from a different thread posted on 6/5/2001 http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=16030&highlight=clippings

"I just bag 3 small homes every week with a 21" in one stop. Most of the time I don't fill a 45 gal plastic garbage can on wheels.

It's easier to deal with 2-3 bags of clippings then the mess on the sidewalks esp. if wet."

????

:eek:

8. Dwilliams239

Dwilliams239 LawnSite Member

To the tarp idea, this is what I did this last summer with my walker.

Got a cheap 6'x4' tarp from Lowes. Walker gets full, spread tarp on street, dump clippings on, and then pick up tarp and dump in.

When the walker was full to the top, it was a PIA to lift tarp, but get three big handfulls real quick and put it in the truck, then tarp is light as a feather. Took me a few yards of struggling with it to figure this out, and boy did I feel like an idiot. :rolleyes:

Dont dump a whole yards worth on a tarp, that would be impossible.

Was like a $6 fix, and IMO this was fast and effective. Im upgrading to a reg-cab truck with a dump body on the back. Found a few that I really like that have a 12'x8'x4' dump box on them. My 5' toyota tacoma bed got full and moutain-topped too fast last year, plus a bigger engine is a must for the 7x14' enclosed im going to get, and I dont want to mess up my baby (the taco) anymore than I have.

ANYWAYS, back on topic, I have been trying to figure out how I'm going to dump the clippings in when the truck box is taller than me. Any ideas?

Danny

9. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Wow, 12 year old thread
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

Werd, this is from 2001.
    Posted via Mobile Device