anyone from Michigan?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xi_bowhunter, Jun 18, 2002.

1. xi_bowhunter

xi_bowhunter LawnSite Member

I am seriously thinking about starting my own lawn care business and would like any input on insurance and licenses that I may need in the state of Michigan. I would also like any information on applying and taking the pesticide application test here in Michigan.

2. dodgeman

dodgeman LawnSite Member

Bowhunter,

You sound like you are in the same thought process that I am. I live in Kingston which is in the thumb area. I also am looking at starting a lawn care business.

First off I called the state the other day and they said to do lawn maintenance you do not need a license. As far as the pesticides I got the packet on that over the weekend and you can get all of the study books through them for a small charge. $5-$10 per.

One thing I found out is the to become a licenced applicator you have to have either 2 yrs experience or an educational equivalent.

Have you decided on what kind of equipment you are going to go with?

Good luck.

Pete

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on where you guys are at, there are better avenues and informational locations. This is why I've always said to others, it is SO helpful when you give your location IN Michigan, too. If there is anything I can do to help, (and I'm sure there MUST be SOMETHING, just let me know. I have had my business here for almost 20 years, now. (Since 1984) . I would be most happy to help. Good luck!

4. dodgeman

dodgeman LawnSite Member

I appreciate that Runner. As far as the applicators license am I right? They sent me all of the paper work and that is how I read it. I would like to get into the fertilizer part of it but Ido not have the experience that they require.

What kind of equipment are you running? I am looking at the Exmark Lazer 60" or the HP 52". The dealer is dropping of a 60" tomorrow for me to try for a couple of days.

By the way why aren't you mowing on a nice day like this? With the weather we have had I know my lawn is like 8" deep.

Pete

5. xi_bowhunter

xi_bowhunter LawnSite Member

I live in Fenwick, just north of Ionia. Thanks for offering to help with any info you may have (after 20 years, I'm sure your a great resource). Lookin at the Z Master and the ProLine T-Bar. I want to start from with some new and some used equipment. I have been cutting a cemetery for the past 15 years with a JD 300, which has been taking way too long. I already have some residential customers willing to go with me next year. Want to take the rest of this year to plan for next year. With my current job, I do not have the time to start this year.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

"I live in Kingston which is in the thumb area."

Now this line in itself PROVES that this gentleman is from Michigan.

I was always amused by this when I went to Mich Tech and talked to the trolls. (Being from Chicago and not from the hand they explained that a troll lived below the bridge)

There is a little map that everyone in Lower Michigan is born with and it is the HAND.

Seriously, I love that state. Lots of beautiful country, besides my wife is from there so I always have reason to visit. Just too bad you don't have much for football. I'll give you the hockey one.;)

7. dodgeman

dodgeman LawnSite Member

You are right. If you are from Michigan you know what the thumb is. I do alot of out of state business now and when I tell people we are in the thumb they don't have a clue in what I am talking about.

As far as football you are right again. It is very depressing to be a football fan in Michigan. (At least we don't wear cheese on our heads)lol.

Pete

8. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

Proud to be hockey fans though!!

It's funny being able to show people where I used to live by using my hand as a map; although ocassionally they still don't get it ...

stick-nInE

bowman061302_drinks_wide.jpg

9. P. Nelson

P. Nelson LawnSite Member

XI-bowhunter I grew up on a small farm in Imlay City. Worked for a big cash crop farmer for several years and we used to haul grain to Munger, MI. We used to drive North M-53 to west M-46 thru Kingston to get to Munger. Never ventured into Kingston other than what you can see from M-46. Seems like a quaint little town. The hand thing is so true. When I raise my hand to PA people to tell them where I lived they always laugh at me.

Moved to TN in '90 then was relocated with my work to DE in '98. MI summers are absolutely beautiful, try to get home once or twice a year. Good Luck!

10. dodgeman

dodgeman LawnSite Member

Kingston is a great little town!! I grew up in the Detroit area and moved up this way 10 yrs ago. A very nice change of pace. But that also is part of the problem starting a business like this. Not to many people in this area will or can pay for this service. I will have to drive to Lapeer (40 mins) Saginaw (45 mins) or to the Detroit area (1hr). But what the heck I am sick of doing what I have been doing and I am ready for a change.