1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone from NY?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sedlmeier101, Feb 28, 2007.

1. sedlmeier101

sedlmeier101 LawnSite Member

Anyone from NY? I was wondering how you guys went about registering your business? any help Is appreciated!
  2. jcantrell

jcantrell LawnSite Member

If you just want to register as a sole prop. you can go downtown buffalo to the county clerks office and register it there. When I lived in buffalo I think it cost like $25 or $30.
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I'm here too. I had the lawyer do it because I went INC.
  4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here, went to the courthouse, talked to the clerk, filled out the DBA paperwork, paid the money and went to work.
  5. jcantrell

jcantrell LawnSite Member

I'm actually an LLC and I did all the paperwork myself. If you choose LLC or INC do it smart like grandview and have an attorney file things for you.

It is cheaper to do it yourself but not easy. I had to redo a couple of things because the state changed filing laws while I was in process - but they forgot to update their website with current info/req's. I am sure if I had gotten a lawyer they would have know the new filing criteria.
  6. tawilson1152

tawilson1152 LawnSite Member

If you operate your business under your own name, you don't even need a dba. This is according to my accountant.