anyone from spring hill brooksville area

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mowjoeman, Apr 6, 2004.

1. mowjoeman

mowjoeman LawnSite Member

Hello just checking what has anybody heard as far as paying for residential acc'ts etc.

2. Coastal Lawn

Coastal Lawn LawnSite Member

Not far away, down in Odessa. New to the business and need accounts. have tried flyer's and paper adds , nothing yet. A lot of competition here.

3. mowjoeman

thanks for the shout costal i want to look into advertising in the news papers, i read a few threads and some interesting ideas there. while its true there is competition being relieable same day , same time etc. and doing little favors that don't amount to much goes along way in my opinion and i'm really looking into investing in advertising thats the trick , money makes money! but just starting out we want to be sure where we put the green backs- mowjoemwn

4. mowjoeman

incidently costal i was checking the oil on the machine one day and another lco stopped to see if i needed any help? we talked for a good hr nice guy, he said never pay more than one month for any run of the mill acc'ts maybe a little more for something for something special? just passing on what i've been told so far, it's food for thought? also on this site there are some worth while getting started in the biz kits to buy but like i said i want to be careful where i put the greenbacks. Nothing ventured nothing gained, good luck this season! - mowjoeman

5. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

i just moved from spring hill and will say that there is no money in spring hill. people only want to pay $15 for service. i was passing out flyers one day and i saw this corner lot that looked pretty bad and went and talked to the lady and she said that she pays $15/week for service. I was offering $25 because I work in tampa and thats somewhat normal. she freaked and said that all her neighbors only pay $15. I charged $15 to cut grass when I was 13 years old way back in the day (like 17 years ago). I passed out tons of flyers and every call I got was crap. NOBODY wanted to pay. Needless to say I am glad to be out of spring hill!!!!!!!!!! good luck. Oh yeah, I got a flyer on my door one day last year and the guy had quoted lawn service for $12-16/ for weekly service.

6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a hint for you, invest in a nice power pruner and a 12 foot folding ladder and trim palm trees. it is a great way into landing the lawn service. Trimming palms takes less time then cutting for more money. WIth my 12 foot ladder, I am 6 ft tall and the pruners reach 17 feet. SO I can reach upwards of 30 feet. If the palms are taller than that I dont stop. Charge like $20 per palm and bingo the cash flows. I have made more money this year trimming palms than cutting grass.

Find a yard that needs a little work, offer do prune them, If they say no, ask them how do they intend on pruning the trees themselves? THey never have a good answer. Tell them It will only take you 15 minutes and you will accept a check. How can they say no, nobody owns pruners and if they do, they are the cheesy 10' ones that suck!

7. mowjoeman

lawn guy, thanks for the reply and i guess you have lived in the area? your exscatly right ! but i started to do that and quickly realized that i was never going to make it work cherging those kinds of prices, so i did branch out and started looking at other things like for instance, river rock if you can stand to be on your knees for any length of time, one man operation and you can get a good buck! the chemmicals aren't that bad and they work Great! another way to get in the door! i paint cleanups prune light elec and plumbing, vinyle siding soffet and facia, fences. if they want to pay my price it's always usually worth it. But your right about the lawns, im checking into pesticide acct's as well something has to click around here because moving is out of the question for me right now and you did the right thing if you got out, i have a few more yrs until my children decide what their going to do than i'm out of here as well! Thanks again - Joe