anyone get previous years cancellations call for estimates??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Mar 30, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

what i mean is, do you ever get calls for estimates from previous years cancellations or firings? i got a call today from this customer we had last year. older lady with a bit*h yard. we got 65 a cut.. well, we cut it about 3 times. the 4th time we drove by to cut it, her sister was out cutting it with a 21"er.. needless to say, we just kept on driving... now shes calling me for an estimate this year.. all i'll say about that is * her... anyone else get these callbacks?
  2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had that before, on the residentials I normally either won't call them or jack there price way up. Morons.
  3. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

yeah give them an estimate that makes them choke. If they still take it it will be worth your while.

4. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Yep.....a few times.

Always raise them 10% and make them pre-pay.

I had a lady call me a few days ago, wanting me to give her a bid.

I told her it would be about an hour before I could come by.

5 minutes later, she called back (not realizing she had just called me--she was obviously shopping).

Her bid was increased also because I know she'll constantly be shopping.
  5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a woman call me this year who had called for a quote last year. When I drove out last year,(same day, within an hour or so) she told me nevermind, she had found someone. I asked her why she didn't call me since we had an appointment and she said she didn't think about it.
    well, forward to this year and I get that call. Me, with my bad memory, didn't recognize the address or name, but when I arrived, It dawned on me.
    One u-turn and 2 days later, she calls and leaves a message asking why didn't I come quote and please call her. I still didn't call and I got another call from her. I should have called her back and asked her if she remembered me from last year, but I just continued to ignore her calls.
  6. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i have a guy year after year that calls me in the spring then in the fall, i ask him if any thing has changed in his yard, he says no, i tell him my price, then he says ,you told me less last time i called.. i say, in the past five years you have called 100 times? ive looked at you prop, 50 times, what makes you think that im going to drive over to your prop. after looking at it for you so many times without ever getting any work out of it??? pls dont call unless you want me to provide my service to you!!!! i dont hear from him for a while or till the season changes .lol what a joke !!!!
  7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

If they fire me then call me to come back, i tell them it will be 5 - 10 dollars more depending on size of yard. When they ask me why, i tell them company policy. You fire me , then want me to come back, it's gonna cost you more.
  8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have this lady that calls me almost every year. She asks about mowing and how much it would cost etc...I never remember her until I'm about half way to her house then it's U-Turn time:walking:
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

On grass-cutting, anytime there exists a drop of business such as:
    - Gave an estimate before.
    - They dropped me while I was cutting for any reason.
    - Etc...

There is a 5-dollar increase, yes, every time. So if the yard was 30 then now it's 35, and so on.

With any other work, I agree with the 10% rule.
    I used to jack the price way up but am learning 10 percent goes smoother and it accomplishes the same thing.

But yeah... I had someone called me for years in a row... I went out a few times and could not remember last year's price I gave, so I kindly re-estimated the yard and the price was likely no more than before and still nothing. Yes, I find this frustrating, sometimes highly so.