anyone get rid of a customer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siklid1066, Jul 22, 2008.

1. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

Anybody get rid of a client do to whatever reason?( work load ,distance,poor payer ect)How did you go about it?I have one that the drive time is just not worth it,when all is said and done I think I make 15 bucks on this cut.The problem is I had this customer for years and I did alot of extras.For the past 2years all I do is cut and it kills me that I turn down work that is local.

2. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

can you get more accounts near this customer? Make the trip more worthwhile to go there? Elsewise refer them to another lco that works that area. No shame in working smart

3. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Why not raise your price first? If you dont lose them you will be making extra money you feel it is worth. If you are planning on getting rid of them you have nothing to lose.

4. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

is one gonna make a difference, customers dump us for no reason so why not us do it to them. Seriously i just dropped 3 because they owe to much money, when the bill just for maintenace is over 2g this year and you have not payed you have to go, then after we sent out a certified letter explaing our contract they send $1000 and say keep the rest on account so needless to say we still are not back there yet. In your case drop them spend more time locally pick up another closer,if not spend mpre time w the family like i said 1 is not going to make a difference espically when you have been there for two years and cant get any more work close to that account to make the trip worth wild

5. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I just told a customer to get someone else. She calls about every 6-8 weeks when grass is a foot tall and wants it cut to 1 inch. I tried to be resonable and explained to her several times to call before it was too tall. The last time I cut it, she called back after 10 days and wanted to know why it needed cutting again. This was back when there was plenty of rain. I told her that grass grows, but she couldn't undstand why it needed cutting so soon. I'm not cutting anymore for the people that call you when grass is that tall and don't want to pay extra. I don't mind if price is right, but they are always looking for a sucker. I can understand someone trying to save money, but most of these people are capable of cutting their own foot high lawns, but are too lazy to do it and want it cut for below your cost.

6. GELAWNS

GELAWNS LawnSite Member

We have done it before. Call them up and nicely explain that you are no longer servicing that area.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Charge them your hourly rate for the drive time. They will probably let you go and problem solved. They may surprise you and go for the raise :clapping: you never know about people. Either way problem solved.

8. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

if they don't owe you any money, just say that gas and inflation have made you raise your prices. charge them something that you wouldn't mind doing it for, but if you lose them, great!