Anyone get shocked by their RedMax 7001 Blower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Diamond Cut Landscaping, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Diamond Cut Landscaping

Diamond Cut Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from NY

I've just recently purchased a new RedMax 7001 blower. Not that its a big deal but does anyone else feel a slight shock when they have their hand on the throttle?
  2. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 LawnSite Member

Towards the end of last season, I noticed I was getting shocked slightly be my echo trimmer. It bugged the hell out of me so I checked it over and found that the spark plug boot had hole in it. Barely noticible, but still "shocking". :rolleyes:
  3. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

i too get shocked by my redmax 7001, it doesnt affect the blower so its not one of those things that i take it in to the shop for. Wish i had time though because im wondering how long i can take getting a jolt up to the elbow
  4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got shocked too - my employees pointed it out to me. Sure enough, I strapped the blower on and got a small shock - just like you described.
  5. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

my redmax shocks the hell out of me, but maybe before you start this thread you should seach for this topic. I've seen about 4 threads in the past month on this. It comes from static. The back of you shirt rubs agianst the plastic on the blower eventually builds up and is released when you tuch or hover over the conductable metal wires in the controls.
  6. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

Are you sure there's nothing loose , like a wire that's causing the spark to jump . Or ground wire not connected. Maybe you guys are not using enough fabric softner on your clothes.
  7. Diamond Cut Landscaping

Diamond Cut Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from NY

Ahh I can't see it be static shock. Its a consistant shock ... zap zap zap zap, it doesn't stop. It not only happens to me but my employee as well but like I said, not a big deal.
  8. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

It's probably something contacting the metal direct with the spark , a loose wire with electricity grounding to the metal frame of the blower.
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

The Shindiawa EB630 had the same problem and they offered a wire that acted as a ground to prevent the shock. Once installed the shocking was remedied. Sounds like the same problem. The Stihl won't do it cause it ain't got enough power to generate electricity!!! :D
  10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Both of my Redmax blowers do it. We've got the 7001 & 8000 and the both give out little shocks, I kind of like it it keeps the guys awake :laugh: :laugh: . I noticed on both models there is a bare wire conecting the throttle, just enough to give you a little jolt.