Anyone going to the Geroria Turfgrass Association net week in Duluth, Ga

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&R, Dec 6, 2002.

1. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Set to go the 11th I heard it's a great sow

2. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

What is the focus of this meeting?

3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Everything from advance turf, weed,irrigtion,sports turf, pestrcide training&exam, golf turf, management, trade show and silent auction. Hope everyone can come.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i wont be at that show, but i am going to the gcsaa's conference show in february.

5. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

Where will this be held? And what is GCSAA?

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i think its more of a golf course type show. Its held at the atlanta convention center. Ive never been before, but im going down with my college. It looks like a massive show. Its the golf course superintendents association show. All the big names will be there, john deere, toro, jacobsen, giant vac, agri metal etc. Although its geared towards golf courses, there should be a lot of relevant equipment there to landscapers.

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

In a simple sense, grass is grass, and grass maintenance is grass maintenance. But you're not going to get much concerning ornamental turf care from a golf course show. It is interesting to see the equipment, maybe, but the economics of golf turf, sports turf, and ornamental turf are very different things. How many offices or homeowners are going to pay you to use 5x to 20x the normal ornamental chemicals (in $$$ cost)? And how many will pay the 4x to 12x labor cost? People don't realize the cost, until you suggest that their greens fee is multiplied 100s of times a day. LOL.

20 years ago, a turf conference was for all turf professionals (and amateurs), but today just going to our state turf assn field day, there are some separate sessions for golf turf, sports turf, and general turf care. As far as equipment, how many of us would shell out the $$$$$ for a water injection aerator today, and how many are interested in coring to a 16"-24" depth? Or equipment for daily mowing in the ½" range? Those are just some of the things you're getting into in golf turf.