Anyone good at adjusting deck on Gravely 160??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by johnwon, Nov 12, 2006.

1. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

Hi: I got my first ZTR and even after asking the salesman if they adjusted the deck as part of their "prep before pick-up" he said sure, sure, etc.
    Well I'm not surprised that after I got it home to find that it was not done.
    My question: after breaking loose the jam nuts on the bolts that you adjust to raise or lower the chain on each corner...should it be free enough for up and down adjustments? Or in my case I had to loosen the big bolt that holds the top end of the chain to the bracket/adjustment assembly. Otherwise while tight it would not allow it to slide up or down while turning the adjustment bolt. Is this bolt intended to be drawled up tight after adjustment is made or left loose enough to allow for easy adjustment. I know this will sound confusing to anyone who don't have this type of adjustment. Thanks for any help on this subject.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't tell you what you need to loosen to do it. But set up the deck the same height from side to side and 1/4 to 3/8 inch lower on the front edge than the rear.

3. johnwon

Thanks...That was going to be my next question. My book stated 1/8" lower in the front.

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

jonwon'
    measure from the blade tips to the floor to get it on the mark. I would shoot for 1/4 inch pitch to the front. that way if your off by an 1/8 inch your still in specs.

5. johnwon

Thanks again