anyone got any creative rigs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Aug 21, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i was looking over my equipment today, and realized i've gone way too long with some of my on the job rigs. but they are creative in a jam... i'll take some pics tomorrow, the camera was dead today.

but for example:
    my lawnboy fabric bags wear out so fast for the price, that i refuse to throw them out unless grass is actually shooting in my face. the zipper on one of my bags broke the second week. so i sliced a length of sprinkler hose (the long ways:rolleyes: ) and slipped it on the bag, problem fixed( that was last may:eek: )

the crappy echo tap head wore out the first month, that the line would just unravel as i cut. but i had to finish the day. borrowed a drill from the house i was cutting (good friend of mine....) drilled a hole right through the head, through the spool and stuck a bolt i had laying on the floor. Presto, problem fixed... but the vibration kept the rpms down, good thing i use no guard!

zip ties..... forget about it. i lost a cotter pin holding the wheel on my edger, zip in its place.

kept burning my arm on the trimmer, so i bought a 6" sweat/wrist band, put it on the top of my forearm.... doubles as a burn guard and i can wipe my head on the other side, the clean side.

there's more..... but they get embarrasing.

anyone else have some creative rigs, or creative problem fixers??

2. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

broke the trigger on trimmer= clear liquid nails

burning arm on trimmer also= old rag and duct tape

3. americanlawn123

americanlawn123 LawnSite Member

Yeah! I use styrofoam pipe insulation on the top of my ramp gate to keep it from banging on the ground when i lower it.:blob2:

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

All I can say is that if I see a bungee in the middle of the road, I'm locking up the brakes for that piece of gold. Almost as many uses as duct tape.

5. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

ALMOST mind you.

Duct tape rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i'll put a zip tie up against a bungee or duct tape any day....:D for every duct tape use, there is 2 zip tie uses... i have the rigs to prove it and back up my statement:)

broke a button on my pants last week:eek: :eek: (damn slushies) zip tie my friend, zip tie.

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

not only will duct tape hold up your pants, it can also act as a girdle!

:D

8. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

After purchasing my enclosed trailer funds were tight so I built blower racks, trimmer racks and shovel/rake racks out of PVC pipe (3/4" sprinkler parts), works just as well as any $200 product and only cost around $25.00 to build it all.
    I'll post pics if anybody is interested in seeing them.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'll admit to have using trimmer line as a belt (0.95 is best, strong yet flexible). Trimmer line has as many uses as duct tape, IMO>

10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of trimmers are you guys burning yourselves on? They wouldn't be Huskeevarna's, would they?