Anyone grow their own?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by brentsawyer, Dec 23, 2003.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Since this will be my first year at starting a tree farm, I was wondering who else has experience in this area as far as field grown plantings, container growing, propagation, etc. Reason I was wondering is for a list of others that could help me out along the way and to see it there is enough interest to possibly get a new forum, maybe, Sean?

It just seems that there is a ton of info that is out there that can be useful as far as connecting members here to the right people since this area of the green industry is extrememly hush, hush in competing markets. I for one know that I would not be able to get the name of any suppliers of any kind as far as nursery production goes from my local nurserymen, happened the other day infact another guy called to get the name of someone who sold burlap, no luck for him. As far as info goes, it reminds me of computers where all the knowledge is in mega corporations that refuse to allow the industry as a whole grow in hopes of personal gain.

2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

We Just Built a Greenhouse last summer, But I'm just growing annuals and some perinals for buss. use

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Brent ... there have been a few threads on this. Go to all the trade shows you can and make connections.
    We have approx 5 acres of greenhouses and 2 tree farms... we don't grow any container grown shrubs. Shrubs we order out of province and sell them at the garden center. You have to be in it for the long haul and a tree farm is more work then just planting some trees and walking away. (Not saying you didn't know that.) Our tree farms are small ...plant around a thousand a each spring ... expect to put in about 5 years without seeing any money from it.
    As far as getting any info from other growers around ...it depends. I think the longer you are in it the closer you get with your competitors. We have very good working relationships with quite a few and they would help us out in a heartbeat and we would do the same for them.

4. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks kris, I am starting this year w/ 500, 1" trees that hopefully will be out in two years time. I am really hoping that I can set up drip irrigation for $1,000-1,250 to prevent loss in the first year w/ such large liners. I guess long term I will steadily move to smaller trees that I can buy for less thus plant more but for now I am concentrating on getting something out of this in the shortest time period.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

The thousand or so that we plant each spring are bare root ... Usually put a large crew on site and have them done in a couple of days. We don't have a irrigation system on either of the farms therefore we have to use our water truck... irrigation would be really nice.. like I said when it comes to our tree farms we are small time but it sure helps us land some of those big planting jobs like this past fall ...contract to supply and install around 300 of them... We didn't have all the species it called for so that is where one of our competitors came in and helped us out ...gave us a heck of deal on around 75 of them.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

brentsawyer
    I started a small tree farm 6 yrs ago 5-6 acres and I planted bare root also. I have a pond that I irrigate from. I haven't made much money off it, but the tax savings is where I make out, all tracs. skid sreers etc are tax deductable because of the tree farm.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Brent,

Here was a post that dealt with running a nursery, maybe you could contact some of the members that posted in it?

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I will be starting a field nursery in the next year or so. Will have full irrigation and approx 1500 trees at the time. About all i can handle. I have alot experieince in the propagation area, grafting, layering, etc.