Anyone grow water plants or fish for resale?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Az Gardener, May 19, 2006.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have access to a lot of plants and fish through my gardening service. I am setting up a pond supply place (for contractors) and would like some advise on inexpensive ways to set things up. I have been using small pools but I don't have much space and round pools don't seem to make the best use of the space. I was thinking of dry stacking a long block trough and using pond liner. There are no other facilities in town that sell or grow wholesale so I can't even copy anyone.

2. Az Gardener

Let me rephrase. What kind of a set up does the place where you all buy your plants and fish have? Pools, Ponds, Above ground block enclosures? Anything anyone? Help...:confused:

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

my supplier has a bunch of the blue ADI fish tanks. He doesn't raise them, just purchases them from someone else and holds them for re-sale. as for plants, he has kiddie-type pools

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Hughes Water Gardens in Wilsonville, was using treated wood rectangles with liner on the inside if I recall correctly.

I don't remember the reinforcement, but I'd use angle brackets myself.

Down here, Southern Oregon Nursery has some rectangular holding ponds, probably wood or cottage stone. But I forget which.

5. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

ihave tried several different ways, the cheapest and easiest way i have found is to take a couple of 2x6;s and some 6x8x16 cement blocks. slide the 2x6 through the blocks and screw the corners together creating a square or rectangle. this gives you a good depth for both bog plants or lillies.just lay a liner over the frame, cut to size and either staple the liner to the 2x6 or sandwich the liner between the 2x6 and a 1x2.
    i wish i had a pic for you....sorry..

6. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

this is a lil late to reply and all, but the guys around here a lot of times have either had fiberglass rigs set up (kind of like a live bait well in a boat really), and any boat or fiberglass guy could do it for you.

Or the other thing i see most often with a couple of the older guys is the simple cinder block structure, usually about 3ft high minimum, and about 4ft wide minimum. of course liner the inside.

7. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I'd think for emergent plants a depression of just a couple inches would be fine for containers.

8. Az Gardener

Ok, thanks for the replies. Next question. I have had some Lillie's and Parrots Beak growing for the Past year. Everything has done well, the Parrots beak has filled and entire kiddie pool aprox 5" radius.

I would like to take some cuttings off the Parrots Beak and begin propagating into smaller containers like 4", qts. or 1-Gal containers. Do I just cut off 3-4 stems/ tips and pot them up in my growing medium? Lillie's are fairly common around here but I have never been able to buy Parrots Beak.

I have been using kiddie pools for the small stuff, a hole covered with liner for the fish and some medium sized inflatable pools for the Lillie's.

BTW Someone told me of a technique for catching fish. Sounds barbaric but here goes. Get an old military crank phone and put the leads in the water and crank. The guy said the fish will float to the top and be stunned and you can pick up whatever you want. ;) Within a minute they will "wake up" and swim off. We tried this in a bucket with some Mosquito fish and it did work but only when the fish was in between the two leads. We were not using the military telephone but just a small old crank generator. The guy that told me about the trick was with the game and Fish dept and said it is how they counted fish when checking up on populations of endangered fish in the wild.:dizzy: Is anyone familiar with this method?

9. Malrex

Malrex LawnSite Member

That method sounds like electro-shocking...a method the Dept. of Fish and Game uses. The electric current has to be set just right, then used in the water and the small fish float to the surface, are counted, then they wake up and swim off. The problem with this method is if the current isn't set right, there is a small chance the fish don't wake up. I'm not sure if your crank phone is the same sort of method, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. It stresses the fish out and there is a chance you could lose some.

I'm not sure about propagating your Parrot's Beak plant, sounds like it would be worth a try, but I would research into it a bit...sorry I don't have an answer.

Here is another idea that I wanted to throw out there. If you know some landscapers in your area who build ponds, work out a deal with them to have them build you a pond in front of your store (if viable) at cost. You will get a deal on the pond, have room for more plants and fish, and the landscaper will have created a kick butt advertisement sign formed as a pond.

10. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

lmao :dizzy:
    isnt that old crank phone method illegal now days??

maybe you are talking about checking out your own fish or somethin, but to just go out in the wild and crank out the charge i believe is illegal to do...lol

thats right up there with the concussion blows that a quarter stick of dynamite will do......which is illegal as well