Lawn Care Forum banner

anyone had success at home shows?

5K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  rcreech 
#1 ·
Had a rep call today asking if we wanted to be in an upcoming home show/trade show with a bunch of other local contractors. The investment isnt huge but if im going to divert money from my proven sales drivers, Id like to know that its going to return equal or better performance; basically, Im unsure if there will be the right ROI. Wondering if anyone else has done this sort of thing and what you experienced? Did you make sales at the time of the show? Lots of estimates? TIA

#5 ·
the amount of money needed for just the booth space, is rediculous here. booth rentals for a 10'x10' starts at $1500. by the time i set up get brochures etc.. i would be in close to $4k. for that much i can send 20k 6"x9" postcards to the exact communities i want to service. to me its not worth it. most home and garden shows cater the DIY Homeowners anyway.

#6 ·
the amount of money needed for just the booth space, is rediculous here. booth rentals for a 10'x10' starts at $1500. by the time i set up get brochures etc.. i would be in close to $4k. for that much i can send 20k 6"x9" postcards to the exact communities i want to service. to me its not worth it. most home and garden shows cater the DIY Homeowners anyway.
You're right on the pricing. These days my shows are a little more country small town shows but in downtown Detroit or at the big Novi Mi. show it's like you say for 10 x 10.

The thing about home shows is sometimes they are in the semi off season, or early season when mailers are too early.

Most of the real successful green industry home show exhibitors are the landscapers and hardscapers with big ticket items and killer displays.

#7 ·
Post is good timing. We just started our first home show of the year yesterday and it goes through Sunday.
We started going to home shows last year and ended up going to 3 big ones total plus a local show. We spent about $3500 total just to prepare for the show but they are mostly long term costs. We had a very nice back drop made, flooring and a table cover with a few little things to spruce up our booth. But you can use them year after year.
You should already have phamphlets for your business so that would be no added cost other then the ones you hand out. We also hand out a really nice pen with our name.
Then we either take the box truck or HHR too.
The booth rent for a normal show is $2,000+. But our results were very good enough that we are not missing them this year.
We measure the lawn right there at the show with goilawn and try and land them.
After the show we then visit the lawns we didn't get.
I will post pics this weekend but its pretty nice.

#8 ·
You generate a lot of leads but a lot of tire kickers too which I know you hate.

They aren't bad though. I used to run one when I worked at Davey.
Thats my biggest issue. We dont waste time; I need an answer at the end of the pitch. Its a soft sell but there is a decided call to action. I cant have wishy washy people kicking tires.

The numbers look like this - we would have to sell 30 new accounts for this show to have our cost per client match or beat our other mediums. About 1 new sale an hour. Im unsure if thats reasonable or not - Rod, is that possible or reasonable? If we walk away with a bunch of leads but 5 sales, ill be ticked. That a couple hours answering phones in the spring.

#9 ·
Thats my biggest issue. We dont waste time; I need an answer at the end of the pitch. Its a soft sell but there is a decided call to action. I cant have wishy washy people kicking tires.

The numbers look like this - we would have to sell 30 new accounts for this show to have our cost per client match or beat our other mediums. About 1 new sale an hour. Im unsure if thats reasonable or not - Rod, is that possible or reasonable? If we walk away with a bunch of leads but 5 sales, ill be ticked. That a couple hours answering phones in the spring.
PM me if you want data.

I don't want to post on here.

#10 ·
For me it would have to be a commitmnent and not a one time thing b

The upfront cost to banners, blown up photos, hand outs etc would be too high for a "test" show. If you we're going to do multiple a year or the same local one over the next few years it would work.

This is a simple form of branding even if you don't see a money return.

One thing I would ask is the attendance over the last few years.

#12 ·
I would agree with you on this.

If you have a small marketing are its NOT a good idea.
If you only plan on one show a year...too much money to spend.

We are in a large market area and we still have people stop outside of our area. We then take their name and tell them that if we make our circle bigger we will notify them.

The other thing is we found is...you also get a lot of referrals from the people you get at shows.

For us its working great!

#13 ·
These are not real clear pics...but give you and idea of how our booth looks.

I would also say that for us IT IS about branding!!!! We are all about brand and even if worse case I break even at a show I have a smile on my face.

But from what we have found its a lot better then that!

:)

Plant Green Table Automotive design Grass

Plant Liquid Green Vehicle Fluid

#14 ·
So can you offer a free lawn analysis and estimate...and...if the prospect drops his name on a card into the bin--you have a drawing for a free lawn service for the year--to one lucky prospect. (limit value of $500. )

Can you give away a free gardening calender? Free rain gauge with your name on it? Free mole chasing propeller? Grass seed? Gladiola bulb...all these with a prospects name and address usually (Or at least stop to talk for a few minutes). Free small bag of grass seed if prospect can stop and identify 5 weeds--real and in flower pots, (photos if necessary). Its all about trading a freebie for permission to give them an estimate.

#15 ·
Efficiencys mention of giving estimates on the spot at the show through an internet measuring tool is such an awesome idea and thing to do it makes me reconsider the entire home show forum for generating business.

You could even flash it on a big 48" screen as you are discussing the lawn with the prospect to generate interest of passers by.

I bet it would make every other vendor jealous as hell. No one else has that opportunity to bid on the spot and actually point fingers at the jobsite from the venue floor.

Wow.

#19 ·
Here is a little better view of our layout.

Weather is in the mid 60's and we thought attendance would be up...but actually less people are coming out it seems.

Still having a good show but surprised attendance isn't as good. Could be the economy too...dunno.

Trousers Product Plant Automotive design Motor vehicle

#21 ·
Lookin good!

Sign me up! lol

You did this show this weekend? Wow with the weather I would have expected more traffic too.
Thanks!

Yes we had a show this weekend and it was beautiful on Saturday and POOR attendance. Rained and cold on Sunday and they all came out. Our numbers were down from last year but still very good. Overall a good success.

I would have thought the opposite...as I go out when its nice and stay in when its wet and cold. Guess people worked outside taking Christmas lights and such. Dunno but glad they came out Sunday! :)

#22 ·
I had similar results with good and bad weather. People are looking for something to do when the weather is bad. Glad you had good results second year. My second year at the same show was down. It seemed like the same people go to the show every year. I got to talk with a lot of people I signed up the year before but didn't get as much new business. I'm doing a different show this year and I think the go-ilawn idea is great. I had good luck with a sign that said, "WHAT WEEDS DO YOU HAVE". People liked looking at the poster I had and getting a name for their weed.

#23 ·
I had similar results with good and bad weather. People are looking for something to do when the weather is bad. Glad you had good results second year. My second year at the same show was down. It seemed like the same people go to the show every year. I got to talk with a lot of people I signed up the year before but didn't get as much new business. I'm doing a different show this year and I think the go-ilawn idea is great. I had good luck with a sign that said, "WHAT WEEDS DO YOU HAVE". People liked looking at the poster I had and getting a name for their weed.
I agree that each year the same people may come, but we still did well. And it is really cool to see the customers we picked up last year and hear they were very happy. Bob shared some awesome feed back that customers shared with him. He said it was almost better then getting a new lawn.
We still have 2 big shows left and a local one so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
If it doesn't turn out as good...again atleast we are keeping our name out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.