1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

-anyone haul attachments in back of pickup?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YellowDogSVC, Jan 25, 2010.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

skid steer users--

Anyone haul attachments in the back of a pickup or dually pickup? I usually haul my attachments on my flatbed but have an out of town job and wanted to take my newer truck. I haven't had the chance to get it set up for a flatbed (saving for an aluminum to compliment the black truck) so I thought about loading a tree shear or grapple in the back of the truck and pulling my Bobcat behind it.
    Anyone do this? How did the bed hold up? I figure I need to lay some plywood down..??
  2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

plywood would be a good thing and then tie the implement down with straps to all the corners........yea, done it......don't like it 'cause it always seems like something happens to the pick up truck. implements on the trailer feels safer and better.......yellowdog, go ahead and splurge to jumpstart the texas economy rebound and buy that aluminum flatbed....then haul your implements. I tried to jump start utahs snow economy by purchasing a snow blower for my skid.....since doing that, there have been no snow events in our area.........
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Tires work good it gives some cushion and grip so its not sliding around. Lay a 22.5 inch truck tire in the bed and lay the tree sheer on it and try sit the grapple on top. If you don't have them already those stake pocket hooks.

Try lash the grapple and sheer together so its one mass.

It is a work truck you are going to get some dents :laugh:
  4. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I would love to. My '05 f350 is still in good condition but my '08 is so much nicer to drive plus on a long haul in the hills...less frustrating than my heavy flatbed 6.0 that won't get out of its own way.

I am tapped out right now. Thank the Good Lord business is picking up, however, I think I will hold onto extra business funds a little tighter.. My first priority is still finding better traction...ctl, ott tracks, etc., so that is where my first surplus will go but that aluminum flatbed was very NICE!!! I just need to convince myself that $7500 and SHARP haul truck is worth it. If I do go with the aluminum flatbed..hopefully soon.. I will get a winch and bullbar, and get some custom lettering on my truck.

My current magnetic signage looks like the pic below but I'd like to do something bigger with the yellow lettering on the black truck.

5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I'll be dammed if I am denting my truck.. :nono:

And i bet some yellow faded into orange lettering would look good on that black:cool2:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  6. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I can fit one attachment on the trailer. I like the idea of setting a tire down. Would keep it from sliding, too. I have inside hooks that will support some weight. for this trip, I'll probably take a lighter grapple with me so I don't beat up the truck bed. I want to be able to sell it if I get the flatbed (someday).

I'll dent it for ya..:hammerhead::drinkup:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Like they say the first dent hurts the rest is war wounds :laugh:

If your worried lay some heavy moving blankets over the box sides anything that will help soften the blow.

The safest bet is just take your time start rushing there will be damage. If your doing this yourself tie a long rope to the attachment so when your lowering it into the box or lifting it you can pull on the rope in the machine to help guide it out.
  8. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I may have to use the pallet forks. Just realized I can't open my door when the boom arms are up (bobcat) so I don't know how I would get the attachment in and out of the bed without the forks putting it in long ways.

Uggh.. so much for that idea. :) I was hoping to drive that truck. My wife has put most of the miles on it. It'll be out of warranty before I get a flatbed on it!

9. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

I do this everytime when moving equipment. Use your deepest bucket and sling chain over cutting edge, it gives more reach and additional vertical control. Watch out for any tag lines or chains which will certainly scratch truck if dragged upon. Also, have someone there to view final placement as most dents occur when you think it down in the bed fine, and then it comes off its hangup unexpectedly and bang....dent. Don't crimp your quarter panels either (assuming you are not going in over tailgate. Cheap palltes in the bottom work well too, and you can pull the item out with forks if need be.
  10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

you could always just take the tailgate off to get more reach into the truck as well.

those anchors with the rubber dont hold much at all and they have too much flex.

I have the bullring pop up rings on my truck and they clamp down and are rated to 1500lbs each.

if you want to do this more often, then build a crate like box out of a pallet with sides that will prevent the attachments to roll and hit your pickup box sides. then you'll just be able to slide it in with your pallet forks with the attachments already inside.