1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a 07 or 08 Dodge with a Cummins?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLS-Tx, May 7, 2008.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

How do you like your truck, have you had any problems?

What kind of mpg are you getting?
  2. cbr9joe

cbr9joe LawnSite Member

I have a 05 with 4:11 rear and get 19.4 mpg.
  3. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

we have a 07 dodge 3500 dualie with the 5.9 and are averaging 18-20. with a heavy trailer it goes down to about 15. I love it when I get to drive this beast.lt rides way better with a load on it otherwise the seats are a bit stiff. We have like 30000 on it and no problems other than improving fuel mileage!!
  4. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Nobody has a 08 Dodge?????????????????????? :confused:
  5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I do. This is the first diesel truck I have driven. Up until now it was all GMs and Fords with the gas guzzler engines. I have a 2008 Ram 3500 Quadcab. The engine has not even broken in yet and I am getting 15 mpg. This is with a mix of stop and go traffic, freeway driving and freeway driving uphill. My previous personal vehicle prior to starting my own business was a 1983 Benz 300D. Very nice car. Once I had that, I no longer was impressed by the convention of a gas engine. Yes cheap to buy, diesel costed me $7,000 more than the same truch with a Hemi, gas is $0.70 less at the pump than diesel, but what bad fuel mileage unless you are driving something with a small engine and a manual transmission. No, I do not tow excavators or trailers with 11,000 lbs of lawn mowers on it. I am just a spray man who does not want to fill up an empty gas tank twice or more per week or have to drive a stripped down small truck that would be more at home in the ghettos of the Philipines or Southeast Asia. I fill this beast of a truck once a week for about $100. Diesel is $4.40 here, so that is less than a full tank. It is not only the money for me. I have problems lining the coffers of countries that hate Americans. The less fuel I consume, the less oil must be bought.
  6. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 08 Dodge 2500. I get about 11 mpg pulling a trailer all day every day. I have a couple of buddies with the same exact truck; they get about 15 mpg pulling about the same weight.

IMO the Cummins is a great engine, and has a lot of power. The gearing ratio is a bit odd, but it works. I've pulled nearly 30k lbs with mine, no problem.

I flew to Houston to buy mine from Helfman Dodge; got it brand new for $15k under sticker (they mark the trucks up ridiculously on the window). I believe the guy I dealt with was Brian; he was straight up, no bs. I'll go back for my next Dodge..

7. ropinghorns

ropinghorns LawnSite Member

My 05 Cummins 4x4 1ton single wheel long bed gets 12 pulling 18500lbs gross [with tractor on]. On the road empty I got 24mpg at the best. Could not be happier.
  8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Had an 05 dodge, it was a decet truck but not the best. have a 07 Duramax now, i like it a little better. dodge never got decent fuel mileage, the best it ever got was 16 hwy. duramax is gettin 20, and doesnt cost near as much to fill up. alot quieter and comfier.
  9. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Thanks for the info,

I went to Helfman's website to get the contant info. I'm going to get a price from them, If I can save 15k off the sticker, It would be worth the 80 mile drive to Houston.

How many miles on your 08, and have you had any problems.
  10. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

The truck has about 8k on it.

No problems yet.

I also purchased a 6 yr 100k warranty for somewhere around $1500.