Anyone have a curb machine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Skookum, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I want to do some curbing around my landscaping at my house. I would like to buy a machine to do mine then use the machine for some add on service in the future.

My main concern is can ONE guy operate these machines with good results ending in a quality curb? I can imagine two people working would be much better, but is a one man operation possible?

Also, how well do the curbs hold up under freeze and thaw climates?

2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

We recently had 276' of white continuious curbing put in. There were actually 3-4 guys who did it. One or two guys removed about a 12" strip of sod first. Then TWO guys installed the curbing. One ran the machine while the other dumped the mixed mortar in the machine. I don't know how one guy could do it. I guess you would have to keep stopping to add more mix, I don't know. I think the one guy said the machine was about $5000.00. They charged $1.90 per foot installed for the white, slightly lower for the gray. We don't get the freezes like up north so I don't know how it would hold up under those conditions. Hopes this helps a little.

3. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your reply, TJLC.

I have been given a price of $5.10 a foot for just natural concrete color by the only guy around here doing this type work. Wish I could get a $1.90 a foot like you got. It would make the color addition I want of brown alot cheaper as well!

The least expensive machine I have found so far is about $4,200. I know I seen one a little while back on a website for about $3,000, but I cannot remember which company it was and I have not found it again.

From what videos and machines I seen at a trade show, I think one man could do it if had too, but I am sure two men is the ideal setup for making it productive for making money.