Anyone have a degree?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Apr 5, 2003.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Since I have a lot of free time in the winter to sleep and be lazy I was thinking of actually applying myself this year. Was wondering if anyone had a horticulture degree and if it helped them out in there career.

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Having a degree seems to make potential clients lean towards you more than other people, because I guess they feel you know more or something.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I took the PLCAA turf course over a couple of winters. Seems to have helped. I'm sure there are plenty of other courses in specific areas.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, certified Turfgrass and also have a masters in Industrial Organizational Psychology

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, nothing to do with lawn care. Associates in criminal justice, Administration

6. zfrog

zfrog Banned

Associate's in Landscape Development and Ornamental Horticulture.
    B.S. in Plant and Soil Sciences

Both degrees help tremendously. If you can at least take a few courses in horticulture to start you'd be doing yourself a favor.

7. MY PUPPY

MY PUPPY LawnSite Member
    from mass.

Certified in turfgrass and a B.S. in business.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

BS in Architecture, MS in Civil Engineering (Structures), courses and self-taught Computer Science and Information Technology.

Does it do any good? No, it only adds to the frustration of not being able to use the education because no company wishes to hire professional people over 55 years old, and those that don't help full quotas. Mowing lawns is clearly a last choice because employment is not possible any longer. After 30 years working as a professional, using my education, helping to grow a technology company from 6 people to 185 over 20 years, and then finding myself on the street after a company buyout, I don't find mowing grass much of a challenge. I'm not alone in those with an education and years of experience that are going wasting in our nation, .... regretable.

I'm sorry if I seem a little cynical, but being out of work for several years is not easy, nor fun.

9. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently working on my associates in business management.

10. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

BS in Criminal Justice, minors in Business Management and Wildlife Conservation.