Anyone have a E85 or a Hybrid Mower/Equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TimTim2008, Nov 16, 2007.

1. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone have a E85 or a hybrid Mower/Equipment?

Are they going to make stuff like this?

2. barcode148

barcode148 LawnSite Member

as far as ive been told e85 causes mowers to run way too hot. in fact if you try to run it in a mower now the warranty is automatically voided. most likely you wont see them in the near future

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Going off my experience with Methanol and kart racing, alcohol shouldn't make an engine run hotter. But the engine needs to be designed to run this fuel or the inside of the engine will corrode due to alcohol being hydroscopic (Water absorbing) and oils need to be specially formulated to handle alcohol as a fuel.

With a kart engine, if you left alcohol inside the engine for long it would cause the jets to plug and the top of the piston and head would get a slime on them. The oil inside the engine would also turn milky white (Indication of water) which is also a by product of ignition of alcohol.

So I could see why manufacturers would void warranty on engines that ran an alcohol mixture. Engine performace should be higher with alcohol as you can run higher compression without detonation worries.

4. thelawnboss

thelawnboss LawnSite Member

thats weird, that was the first thing i thought of too was back in the kart racing days....that was the good ole days before it got too darn expensive, have looked into how much those things cost now days?

5. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

but on a car, dont a E85 engine, use the same OIL as a normal car?

6. cgaengineer

No, but at one time I had thought I would get my son into it and had looked then and they were expensive then. I remember the old Briggs (Digger Motor), I ran the stock class which was a blueprinted only engine and boy did I have fun...hell dad and I both had a blast with racing.

7. cgaengineer

I am not sure about this? Will research and post my findings, I am thinking a synthetic oil would be required.

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

My understanding from the local Chevy dealer was, that switching mine over to run E-85 would still allow it to use regular motor oil if kept on the 3000 mile oil change schedule.
    Cost of converting it over would be about $1800 for the 8.1L V-8.