Anyone have a Hustler ZTR with over 1000hrs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Feb 14, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Super Z 300hrs; Had some issues but worked them out. I'm considering a second ZTR either Exmark or Hustler. My Exmarks have given me zero problems until 1500hrs (I'm very happy with that) the Hustler so far burnt grass,4 blade switches and a clutch. However, I do like the Super Z very high performance. Everyone raves about the Hustler but they all seem to be new or almost new units I'm concerned over the long haul?

2. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

If you like the speed, try and demo a Dixie Chopper. It'll run cirlces around the Hustlers.

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I will second that. A Hustler has 15mph ground speed, but they just don't cut grass at 15mph like a chopper will.

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I'm at 700 hours with no problems. I change oil and filter every 30 hours. Air filter changed every 100 hours. Sharp blades every day. Grease all fittings weekly. No problems with clutch or PTO switch so far. It's a 2004 Hustler Z 52 with a 23 Kawasaki.

5. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

This kind of scares me. I Know of Lesco's,Scags and Exmarks with 3000+hrs, But 700hrs is the most I can Find for Hustler?

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I think the guys running equipment with 3000 hours have replace things like spindles, clutches etc. Hustler comes with the same engine and I know their frame and deck is built for the task.

7. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

CharlieBingo,

There is a guy around here who mows a military base along with mostly commercial accounts. Him and his sons run 5 Super Z's everyday. They buy every two years. They do little maintance and only repair what really has to be fixed. I have seen their machines, they are extremely rough on them. They average 1000-1200 hours per year. They brought one into the shop with 2500 hours. He had just put a new engine on it so he was going to keep this one a little longer. The engine was the only thing he had done. Just something to consider.

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have demoed Hustler ZTRs, and I think they are built as well as Exmark and Scaggs if not better. My walk behind is built like a tank, but the downside is that it weighs 700 lbs.

9. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I have two scag Liquid cooled Kawis ZTrs with around and over 3,000 Hrs. Never replaced spindle or any thing much on the machine. The motor, only had to replace the seals on the heads, thats about it. I replaced the clutch at around 2,250hrs on one and 1,800 on the other. If you have a aircooled you are at different class of motors. I have seen people with over 3,000 Hrs on air cooled but the poer isn't there.

10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

The most hours I had on a mower was a Dixie Chopper with 2000 hours. The motor ran great. It was the rest of the machine that was shot.