1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a mulching Kit for a Toro WB?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NittanyLawncare, Jun 2, 2007.

1. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

I was interested in picking up the deck chute mulching plate for my Toro 44" WB and was wondering if anyone had any pictures of one on their 2003'ish Toros. I was thinking of just makeing one, but I'd like to get an idea of what they look like so I could do so. Also any experience you've had with them? Its either that or a bagger, and I'd like to avoid the fuss involved with hauling the clippings around. If they don't work that well though, I'd like to know before I make one.
  2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Do they offer a mulch kit for your deck or just a block off plate? A mulch kit will usually work better than just blocking off the side discharge. A mulch kit will enclose each blade. Basically making your deck into 2 or 3 individual decks.
  3. NittanyLawncare

I didn't know that...but I think its just the block off plate. I have some mulching blades that work well, and I figure that just regrinding the stuff by putting a plate over the chute should work. Perhaps I'm wrong...thats why I'd like to find out by someone that owns one.
  4. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

The problem with that idea is that all the clippings get shot to the discharge side and then that blade has to mulch up the whole load by itself. You will see a pretty good amount of clippings left behind also on that one side.
  5. Bolo9092

Bolo9092 LawnSite Member

just using a block off plate with your mower doesn't work well.I run gator blades on mine and made a block off plate and it leaves a 2-3" trail of piled up grass
  6. NittanyLawncare

Just what I needed to hear...thanks for your help guys, maybe I'll splurge for the mulching kit.
  7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I have a factory mulch kit on my 44" toro sfs wb and I have had it on all year. It works pretty good and leaves a nice finish under normal conditions. I would recommend it.
  8. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.