anyone have a place to put grass besides the back of their truck?

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by duelly44, Jul 11, 2006.

1. duelly44

duelly44 LawnSite Member

im fed up with using these damn brown bags to bag the grass in, the bags krinkle up, wind blows em over, and the grass catcher is 3 x as big as the bag...its the only thing our state allows us to put grass in unless youhave a dumpster to throw it in....

recently i have found a dumpster but still want a different idea of where to put the grass before it hits the dumpster besides in a brown bag or in the back of my truck (it will rot the metal back there plus i play beer league hockey and dont really like when my equipment reaks of grass)....i was thinking of welding four, 3 feet tall, 1 inch steel square tubes in a rectangular shape, in the front of the trailer and then washer screawing a big canvas tarp in a tub shape to hold the grass...what do you think? wood? metal? dont bother? any ideas, pics? smart ass comments are appreciated

thanks

2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

my walker mower dumps my grass in the back of my dump truck then i haul it to a farm where in the fall they spread it over the fields:clapping:

3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch it and leave it on the yard.
    Leave the grass catcher hooked up for show and run mulcher blades with a block-off plate

4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=lb2

Never had to haul all the grass away before. but I did keep a large tree pot (25 gallon or so) in the back of the truck for the daily trash, branches, occasional clumps ect that i would encounter... it was nice to not have to have the junk blowing around in the back of the truck.

Check out a good nusery for a big pot...might get lucky...get it cheap...I go t mine after a tree install paid a deposit on it but never returned it...

lb2.jpeg

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

If you have the money, buy an extra open trailer and use it for just grass- Peter

6. lakesregionscapes

lakesregionscapes LawnSite Member

Rubbermaid trash barrels; the round ones are pretty rugged, but you might find the rectangular ones tuck together tighter. Dump the clippings into the barrels as you mow (on the truck or trailer), and the barrels into the dumpster at the end of the day... You have a clean truck bed, no fighting saggy paper bags, and no fancy engineering. They'll last a couple of years with minimal fuss.

We're fortunate (or not, depending how the wind blows) to have a compost pile in our 2 acre yard, but we use the plastic barrels on the trailer or truck when there are clippings that need to be kept separate from the primary load (mulch, brush, plants or whatever) and there aren't any good places to "loose" them at the customers'. Some companies around here "bucket brigade" all their debris, all year. We prefer tarps whenever possible, but the barrels sure do have their uses. Of course, this season we've hauled dump truckfulls of grass every day, for 2 months. Nuts, for this area! (NH)

7. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

What about the short, round, tough green barrells that are in the back of everyones trucks?

8. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

search for "brianslawn the unavailing" he's got it down...

9. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 6 of the big green barells, they are rugged, and I can fit a lot of clippings in them. When I fill up all 6 (usually every other day), I put them on my trailer, and dump them out at the dump. No messy clippings in the trailer, and the barells make the process a lot faster versus shoveling the clippings out of the trailer. I got my barells for around $35/each at Landscapers Supply.

10. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

this has been discussed many times before, and the same conclusion was always drawn. The best place to dump grass, or anything else for that matter, is in the rivers and streams. It helps the food chain.......