Anyone have a S300 w/Loegering VTS tracks?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by dirtybiz, Sep 28, 2008.

1. dirtybiz

dirtybiz LawnSite Senior Member
    from MT

We have a S300 that we are seriously considering putting vts tracks on as we need another tracked machine for our steep mountain projects. It only has 400 some hours and don't really see the need to completely replace the machine with a T300.

We currently have a T250 which vibrates really badly on pavement, etc., and i can't hardly stand to run it. Will the S300 with vts vibrate as bad? Mostly it is the windows on the side of the cab, which i imagine with a little bit of ingenuity a person could fix. Also our T250 seems to be a bit underpowered on slopes even wide open, will the tracks on the S300 seem underpowered as well?? Anyone run a 2 speed w/vts?? Ours doesn't have one, but was just curious how well it works? Need some input on the tracks, even if you don't have a bobcat machine.

Going to try and demo a cat this fall, just to see what they are like, hopefully with vts tracks, as the cat dealership here mostly sells cat skids w/vts tracks, rather than the cat tracks. They have some nice features, but are quite spendy, and sounds like they are having a few first model year issues.

Anyone heard anything on the next gen bobcat's?? Heard they were supposed to be out this fall/winter?? Thanks for your input!

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The VTS seems to affect the travel speed considerably. Although in CATs VTS compatible machines you cant get two speed in them, so I am not sure what they are saying by that. I still have not put the VTS on my 440. I heard Bobcat was not doing much with their new machines.

Sounds like things have slowed up on the "hill". I didn't go up there this Summer. Word is the work has all but stopped up there.

3. dirtybiz

from MT

KSSS, thanks for the reply. I was mostly curious about a bobcat S300 w/2 speed, was wondering if a person can stand to run it in high anyhow? I can't hardly stand to run our T250 on pavement, it vibrates so bad.

The cat dealer around here is buying C272 and putting VTS tracks on them that have 2 speeds as well. I thought all of their machines came w/2 speed standard now?? I don't really know a whole lot about them as we have had 100% bobcat's from day one. That's why i wanted to try one. I have two calls into the cat dealer now to demo and no calls back, so they may be out of luck on a potential customer. They need to get their poop in a group. I called them this spring wanting to demo as well???

Yes work on the hill has slowed down a bit, but still seems like their is quite a bit going on. We have been up there all summer, and will be back again next summer as we are not going to get all of our work done before the snow flies. I guess at least we know we will have that work for next year! Maybe we will see you up there next summer?

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The builder I do work for up there is still working on the last two holes we dug. I like going up there. I have been using Loegren trailblazer steel tracks and I have a set of floatation tires. Both work work well. I am anxious to bolt on the VTS to the 440 and try that up there. The mud up there has no bottom in my experience. The VTS should help a bunch but I'll bet when your stuck your really stuck. The two speed is an option on CAT skid steers. CAT offers a VTS package that I guess has heavier chains and other upgrades to make them more robust for the VTS. The fact that in that package it is single speed only tells me that the VTS might be hard on the machine when you run in two speed. I don't know that for fact , only assuming that since they don't offer that package with a two speed that they don't prefer you running two speed with VTS. The gear reduction maybe a good thing with the VTS working at those altitudes. It takes a lot of power to operate at 9K feet if your working the machine hard. There is no one running the VTS on a Bobcat in this area that I know of.

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

The VTS will give nearly the same ride as a T250 does, but with just a little less vibrations, but it's still there.

6. dirtybiz

from MT

Anyone with a tracked bobcat and cab figured out how to make it so one can stand to operate it. Our side windows vibrate so bad on pavement it almost instantly gives me a headache. I am sure their is an easy fix, just haven't had time to toy with it.

7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

No windows, no problem. [​IMG]

8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcat sells a kit to "stiffen" the cab so the windows don't shake. I made my own stiffeners out of 1/2" x 1" steel and just bolted them down the center portion of the side windows. Then I bought some thicker weathering strip to put between the windows. No more rattles for me.

9. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

why would you be running it on pavement? when i bought my new t190 about a month ago bobcat put another skinny bar going down the side windows to stop the vibration it works real nice no more vibration

10. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

i heard something about next year a new design of some type.. dirtybiz you have a ton of bobcat machine how they holding up?