1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have a Showcase/ Office for work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by roscioli, Aug 29, 2002.

Office/ Showcase or Shop/ Home?

1. Work from home.

15 vote(s)
  2. Work from shop in separate location than home.

2 vote(s)
  3. Combo of 1 + 2

3 vote(s)
  4. Have showcase/ Nice office

1 vote(s)
  1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Please vote. I know most have shops or work from home, but I am wondering if any (or how many) have Offices where they ask customers to come see pictures of work, a nice clean place to showcase your work. If you have anything like this (which I cant figure a way to describe) please explain it in a post, otherwise please vote... Thanks Guys.
  2. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Office at home where all the accounting goes on. Shop away from home (1 mile). Actually both are private. I do most of the selling on their turf, reference material such as books, articles, pictures and or samples are taken to their place. If they need to see more I will take them to a previous job we've done (owners blessing of course) and let them see the result of our work. I have given your question consideration in the past and that is far as it got. Can't really justify a "store front"......................................Again! That is just my .02
    It may work and work well for others.

More rain today (flash flood warnings):D

Backed up the ying yang:eek:
  3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

we have a small unit (1000 sq. ft) with a tiny office, couldn't imagine having a client come in-grass everywhere, "nice" calanders on the wall, a bathroom that likely could qualify as a level 4 biohazard containment zone.

never had a client want to meet anywhere but their home or business. sometimes they have us come to their place of work.

i have met business contacts at coffee shops.
  4. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

I couldnt really see a showcase office unless you had a pretty high end landscaping biz. Even then only if YOU really wanted one.

I've thought about it as well, but was always brought back down to earth by my wife! Uneeded expense.
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

This is a totally customer service driven profession. Bring everything you need to the customer. You need them to make money.
  6. roscioli

Bringing everything to the customer is of course the way I do it, But I am hoping there is someone out there that does it a different way that can comment. It seems the high end market (which is what I target in my landscaping biz) would appreciate a professional office to stop by to browse portfolios and whatnot. At this point in my business it would be an unwanted expense, but I am hoping to get to the point where it will be a money maker. It seems some people are phone shy, and would rather do it by stoping in and looking. Comments please!
  7. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, i think i see where you're going now.

i have thought of something like this. but not an office but a "nursery/showroom".

gardens everywhere, a couple water ponds, turf areas, and of course retail sales of plants, trees, etc. people could roam.

getting really ahead of myself, if it were a large enough area people could pay to use certain areas for wedding photos, etc.

add a small coffee shop, patio...

insane maybe, but that would be real interesting...
  8. roscioli

Bubble Boy- You have dreams like mine!
  9. roscioli

to top for max exposure.. saw a few people voted that they do have showcases, please explain, thanks guys + gals!