1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anyone have advice to using a sod cutter

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grassman177, Apr 3, 2008.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have a perfect lawn i have been managing for about 3 years now, rather new and the water line backfill has finally sunk it to a nice 10-15 ft radius sink hole with no drastic drop off. i want to cut the sod, fill with soil and they relay the sod so it will match perfect and no problems with weeds over the summer from dirt and seed fill solution.

any tips or suggestions for using a sod cutter to tackle this. i would rent one and want tot cut the sod at 1.25 to 1.5 inch i would guess. thanks all, i have never run on of these machines at all. i dont know the brand so i cant help you there. maybe it is a no brainer after running so many different types of equipment but i thought i would ask
  2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Ryan, Brower, and Turfco are good machines. Stay away from Bluebird unless you are cutting an area that is flat as a pancake. You describe the area to be cut as a round area. Cut an area that is square shaped, large enough to include the circular depression. I would recommend mowing the lawn before sod cutting so that it is easier to see where you have cut.

Mark out the area with turf marking paint so that you can easily see the boundaries while cutting. Start at one side of the square and cut strips back and forth working toward the opposite side of the square. When coming to the end of a pass cut as close to the marked boundary as possible then quickly lift the machine to pull the blade out of the sod. Use a sharp edger or spade to cut the sod strips into manageable lengths (7-8ft). Length of the strips will depend on the strength of your sod. Roll up the strips and set aside. Add fill, grade and replace the sod. Butt the rolls tightly together so that there are no gaps. Water 1-2 times daily for at least 2 weeks to prevent sod from drying and shrinking.
  3. grassman177

thanks for the thorough reply. i had never used this machine and advice is welcome. i love to make these projects look like it never happened. I have repaired many a hole with dirt and seed with great results, just never cut sod. i am glad that the area is no too big, i think i will be wore out after using it from what i can gather. anymore recommendations?
  4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd be careful using a sod cutter on an area that has settled. All are propelled by a small diameter roller, and most are about as maneuverable as an iron safe on a dolly, in soft dirt. As you get closer to the deepest part, you will find the sodcutter sinking in and having problems. In this area cut it out with a hand held sod lifter. If you have never seen one, I know Ames makes one, google it. You probably will still need to buy a yard or 2 of sod to finish, unless you can scavenge some from a hidden area in the back yard.:waving:
  5. grassman177

it is pretty firm ground despite the sink. i think it will be fine, but i should not need extra sod i wouldn't think because the surface area is greater now than when i will be done flattening it, but hell, what do i know!? i will more than likely overseed anyways and can fill in any small areas with seed too. i have been aerating and seeding this lawn for 3 years no9w and it is totally fescue and has much of my blend into it now anyways. i just want to avoid the big dirt seed and weeds ya know.
  6. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

If you call Independence Rental in Independence they have just the sod cutter you need. They also have several store areound K City just ask then which one is closest to you in Leavenworth. They have the Turfco KisKutter to rent and it is mounted on Tires so it does not sink into soft turf as bad as others. they also go by the name of Beagle Rental.

they do what you want to all the time in the cemetery business. Just lift the sod on the deep setting move it to one side. Fill and level the hole sprinkle some fert to help the sod grow back replace it and water.
  7. grassman177

yeah, i will find out about using your machine. i have been waiting to do it until the grass greened up more and it was warm enough to turn on the sprinklers. next week or after i think i will tackle this project.
  8. TurfBusiness

TurfBusiness LawnSite Member

I always cut the sod at least 1 foot larger than the depression. It is much easier to get the grade level.
  9. grassman177

i was planning on doing that, i think that is a good idea. i would like to post pics, i always wan t to , so hope i remember. i have my camera in truck now!