Anyone have an operation like this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Thunderdogg, May 8, 2004.

1. Thunderdogg

Thunderdogg LawnSite Member

I was driving to work today and passed a lawn care operation that I thought was going a bit overboard on equipment and manpower.

They were cutting in the median of a roadway, between some high-tech type buildings, and near a somewhat-clandestine governmental type building...we are talking lot's of $$$ in that section of town between the businesses and government there.

You could see where they had mowed, edged, trimmed, etc around the buildings and were now doing the median.

To get to the point...there were 4 guys riding ZTR's, another 4 with walk behinds, 2 were edging around the roadway and trimming around the trees, and one guy was throwing grass shavings into the back of a large truck....all 11-12 or so guys were cutting the median which I guesstimate about 150 ft long by 25-30ft wide. It was almost comical to see all those men and machines on such a small parcel of land...

...and yes I know they were working a much larger operation, but why would they all gang up on one small piece of land like that? and I can imagine the cost-per-hour for such an operation must have been phenomenal.

So, any of you folks work an operation like that? Just curious...

- T

2. LuxuryLawns

LuxuryLawns LawnSite Member

That sounds like it would of been funny to see.

3. Maybe they were Gov. workers....... You know the old jokes..How many Goverment workers does it take to ________......

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe. just maybe, they were finished with everything else, and instead of being dead weight and sitting there while the other finished cutting they teamed up and took some initiative to get the job done quicker.

Trevor

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats me sometimes. I do mostly large commercial properties but I also do smaller ones. Our 5 man crew looks pretty overwhelming on a 4000 sq.ft. yard.

6. Thunderdogg

Thunderdogg LawnSite Member

I assumed they were probably almost finished, but why not have 2 or 3 guys finish this small piece of land, while the other 8-10 or so guys loaded up all this equipment and headed to the next job, or headed home?

I really wish I had a camera with me! :D

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like an intense case of poor planning.

8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder how many got hurt being in each other's way.

9. jcr_17

jcr_17 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Yeah I have seen that sometimes down around Beaumont, Tx around the prisons. The reason they stick so close together is becuase of Big Bubba sitting on old Smokey with a 12 ga. just itching for one to stray too far. :)

10. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

My Team Leader mentioned the same scenario to me this week. He passed the neighbors mowing crew which was a 4 man crew. They were unloading the mowers as he passed them. The 2 yards are the exact same size (about .75-1 acre), but the only exception is that in the other yard, there is something to trim around far in the back yard, and htat's it. My one man crew finished our yard just 2 minutes after the other guys did, PLUS they left grass out in the road. When he told me this, i was gettin kinda pizzed cause i thought he might've been bawlin' across the yard to finish faster. But he told me he was competing for quality in a fair amount of time.

This is just an example that larger crews are not always as efficient as smaller crews. It all depends on the size of the property.