1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have an opinion on which is better the ECHO PE311 OR STIHL FC110 EDGER?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Jan 29, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking to get a good stick edger and am comparing these models,anyone ever use either of these and whats your opinions.
  2. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I go with echo
  3. bigw

Have you used either of these models?
  4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I will probably go back to echo after many years. The stihl has plenty of torque but doesnt cut as clean as I like.
  5. bigw

has anyone used either of these...PE311 OR FC110?
  6. bigw

come on guys anyone???
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

While the 311 power would be nice in certain conditions, I think it may be overkill in your day to day jobs.

I have a Echo 23cc split boom that I use as a dedicated stick edger. Every now and then I wish it had more power, but I feel stepping up to a 25cc class would be more than fine.

Whats the price difference between a 311 and a 260?

Do you have a use for a power broom or a hedge trimmer attachment? Look into the split boom 260.
  8. HashBrown007

HashBrown007 LawnSite Member

I have had a Stihl FC110 for two years now. The lure of its 30cc power plant was what did it for me.. especially since I had been using a 21cc echo for the previous year.

I kept on wanting more power than the 21cc could deliver. Guess which edger I tested first? I signed the three hour rental agreement the FC110, I think I came back within 90 minutes to buy it. Relatively, a very large amount of power.

In the two years I've owned it, I've very rarely desired more power than it has.

Last month I got brave and disassembled the powerplant, degreased and cleaned for a couple hours. Now it cranks on the first or second pull.. without choke. Pretty amazing if I do say so myself.

Also, for some strange reason, I'm the only person I know that has one.

This thread is a bit old so I assume you made the right choice :)