1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have an opinions on the Echo hedge trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MulchMan88, May 11, 2008.

1. MulchMan88

MulchMan88 LawnSite Member

I'm lookin to get a good hedge trimmer for a job that i have coming up, and ive been lookin at the echos. I was gonna go stihl since im running their blower and chainsaw, plus i like the dealer, but they are almost 500 bucks. i cant see spending that much on hedge trimmers. I was thinkin either the HC-160 or 180. they dont have them at HD so i'll have to find another place.
  2. MortonLawn

MortonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

you should try the echo shc-210 hedge clipper. very nice unit.:cool2:
  3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I only use the hc-150 and I have never had a single issue at all in 9 years. Love my echo gear.
  4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have the HC151, too short, reaching and bending all the time, works good but I am buying a new one. I am not going to buy another Echo because they all use the same engine and it give a big BARK!!! It is so LOUD!!!

Echo is a very reliable one, I just want a different one since I have it already.
  5. MulchMan88

MulchMan88 LawnSite Member

yea im a little concerned about the length. i feel anything less than 24'' is too small? the bushes i have to trim are pretty big, im 6'2'' and they are taller than me, maybe i should go with the pole type prunner.
  6. yungman

from Calif.

Sound like you need a short reach articulate hedge clipper. Echo don't have one in my 2007 catalog. Redmax, Husqvarna, Shindaiwa, Kawasaki and Maruyama have that. Don't get the C4 Shindaiwa, only the AHS242.

That is what I have in mind for my next hedge trimmer. I have been doing research on this lately. I heard a lot of good things about Kawasaki, no experience but just here say from a lot of people. Kawasaki have the biggest engine, 26.3cc. Husky is 25cc, Redmax and Shindy is 23 and something cc.

If you decided to have the regular ones, at least a 30" if not 40" for your height. I am shorter, 30" is fine for me.
  7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Hc-150 and they work good for me, I don't do a huge amount of hedge trimming
  8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have this unit and it is nice. All the power and reach Ive ever needed.
  9. frogman18

frogman18 LawnSite Member

I love my HC-150, works great.
  10. yungman

from Calif.

So how is the little 21.2cc Echo Vortex engine hold up in the long run? I don't have a lot of hours on my HC151 yet. You think they will last as long as the bigger brothers?

Echo is known to be a little cold blooded....hard cold start. I finally get this down, and I can get it to start cold between 3 to 4 pulls average. Prime the bulb at least 10 times, prime hard. Close choke and pull. It start in 3 to 4 pulls, open choke a fast as you can and let it idle for 20 seconds and is good to go. Hot start is always 1 to 2 pulls. I can start the Echo faster than my Shindaiwa C4 blower.