Anyone have any experience with Weedman?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MacLawnCo, Jan 27, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,

I just stumbled upon this and was wondering if anyone has any experience, either good or bad with weedman? They are going to call me back in a few days to discuss with me the possibility of me buying a teritory. Thanks guys for any info you can relay.

www.weed-man.com

2. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

dont you need 250k liquid, to even be considered? if your buying something like that look @ u.s. lawns.

3. Guy around here has one. I thought it was a big mistake, but he likes it.

4. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

No, but I sent for info on Lawn Doctor so I could get a better look at their equipment. They sent me a full package including a video. For Gods sake, don't give them your phone number. I bet that guy has called me fifty times trying to sell me a franchise.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mac

From your picture I think you should go to Hollywood instead of lawn care. :D

Franchise businesses are nothing more than Marketing companies. Good ones have good support and a standard of care. They have good and bad points.

Good points are they can market for you and give you a jump-start on gaining customers. They offer a brand name. They have a support program in place. They have purchasing programs that might or might not give you lower prices. Lawn Doctor I think has a deal with Lesco and all franchisee pay the same price for products.

Bad points are high buy in price. They get a piece of your action forever and have cancellation clauses. They limit you to a territory. They limit what products you may use,etc.

I have read many of your posts. I feel you are smart enough to check out these companies and copy their style. However you know your market and own ability better than I. Good luck.

6. MacLawnCo

Thanks ric,

I will keep that in mind.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Hollywood Or franchises??????

8. MacLawnCo

9. There is alot of them up here in canada and they are quite successful. even though their name is not a good one for a company that is supposed to get rid of them , also leads some people to make "misstaken" Phone calls if ya kno what i mean.;)
    they r a bit pricey compared to some inipendent sprayers, I priced them out when i applyed for a contract that required spraying. but I think that you will do well the one near me certainly has.

10. jwalker

jwalker LawnSite Member

RIC,

You are right in that different Franchise opportunities have good and bad points, however all of them do not have the same good and bad points that you listed.

Franchises are not for everyone, just as Lawncare is not for everyone. Franchises offer a certain level of expertise and direction that can help jump start an otherwise struggling operation. It is important that one feels comfortable with the Franchising Company and believes they are reliable as to what they will provide for the fees they charge.

Franchises are not something to get into thinking you will get rich quick. And if the Franchising Company tells you this, run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.

The best thing to do when looking into Franchises, as with any new business venture, is to check it out thoroughly and make sure you are comfortable with the Franchising Company.

Some people need the structure and direction a Franchise can provide. Others do not.

BTW, studies done by INC. and Success Magazine have found the Franchised operations have a higher probablity of succeeding than non- franchised operations. The reason being Franchises tend to have more support and knowledge base for their Franchisees to take advantage of, and the Franchiseing Company has a vested interest in making sure the Franchisee is successful. After all, if the Franchisees go under, the Franchisor wouldn't be in business for very long, would they?

The regular business owner does not have this support system and it takes time to learn "the ropes" so to speak. Some get there, some don't.

Franchisors can be thought of this way... they are consultants that have aknowledge base to help you grow your business if you find you are struggling. The royalties and buy-in fees are what you pay for their consultation expertise.