1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have any secrets to edging?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 4curbappeal, Mar 13, 2006.

1. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for any techniques to make driveways and sidewalks look great using a stick edger! Thanks for the help!!
  2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

The first time edging an area make sure the soil is moist, not wet but moist it will go much easier than hard packed dry soil.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Practice, hold the blade lightly against the concrete, Tilt the edger just slightly out (away fron the concrete) at the top--2-3* at most.
  4. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

If you dont have a powerful edger, dont try to edge a lawn with an overgrown edge. I tried out my new edger on my friends lawn because it was overgrown and I really butchered it. I dont know if it was just me but it was really tough. I would recommend getting practice on edges that have already been established.
  5. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

So how do you guys go about fixing an overgrown edge?
  6. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Im glad you asked because I would love to know that answer.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I sort of run the edger back and forth for small distances to try to cut thru the dirt. Then I'll take a shovel and slide it under the semi-cut edge, this pops a lot of it off. Then another pass or two afterwards. Normally the edge won't look it's best for another week or two.
  8. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

I think im going to add a $5 surcharge for overgrown edges. How does that price sound for the time it would take, obviously depending on the size. I want to have a just a flat rate for all the yards tho, so should i raise that?
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There are several ways to do this...
    First, I never use an edger except when I'm doing mulch or special requests - I use my weedtrimmer exclusively when grass-cutting, but I suppose to each their own, you have to do what works best for you.

Now, if the customer indicates they wish to be a year-round customer (don't ask them, they have to tell you), then it is possible I eat some of the cost for the first time because I will make it up through-out the year. I said a little, so if it's really bad, I do charge extra and the amount I charge depends on the situation: for 5 bucks, I don't even worry about it but then if it's more, yeah, charge extra. How much depends on how long it will take, something which you can learn with practice.

On that note, if you have no clue as to how long it will take, consider taking on a smallish 'problem' of this nature as an educational job: For educational jobs, I am doing it to learn what it will take, and I charge less for the job because education is not free. Then, everybody wins: I get to learn something new, they get a good deal, and we both take the risk that it may not turn out (but you have to let them know what you are doing, and why - and they have to be ok with it, most of the ones I have done readily agreed).
  10. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

make it look good thats all i have to say