Anyone Have Better Iron Then 12-0-0 (lesco)?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Mattcurry, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Mattcurry

Mattcurry LawnSite Member

I have been using a few irons in the past i like the 12-0-0 that lesco puts out. The 4-4-5 or 5-5-4 non staining iron that lesco sells is crazy expensive and not that good. Just curios what else you guys r using?

Fe8?
    Brexel packs?

Please put in your info.

Thanks.
    Matt

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

those products are not iron. They are nitrogen w/ iron (12-0-0) etc.
    If im using iron Ill use a micro mix you can find one with high iron content.
    Lesco high mag combo comes to mind. You can also get powder iron in a bag.

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

During the mild to warm weather conditions, I like Multigreen from Regal Chemical. It has more micros than just Iron, but does produce great results. For hot weather, I use Maxigreen which is similar but has K added.

This time of year though, you will get better results from Ferromec.

4. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt,
    The 4-4-5 with non staining Iron is a Much Better product (Roots) than the plain ole' 12-0-0. It cost more because you get more....Do a side by side compairson, and let me know plant health, color in 1 month post-app.

The 12-0-0 is a very cost effective product for Turfgrass and as a Ornamental Root Feeding Additive. But I would stick with the non-staining Fe for any foliar apps to Ornamentals.

If you want no staining, stick with the Iron Citrate or Iron Glucohephonate. You will pay more $$$ for non-staining Fe.

Or you and your applicators need to keep the spray/squirt off the pavement,cement,foundations with the Staining Fe.

Pete

5. Mattcurry

Maybe you should read the label on lesco 12-0-0 because your saying its a more of a nitrogen strictly because its labeled 12-0-0?....... Lesco 12-0-0 has more iron content then most straight iron.... think its 6% iron.

6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

6 percent iron isnt much. You get more in a lot of fert blends. My point was
    iron is usually used for greenup situations for turf in warmer conditions or when a fungus is present or when nitrogen burn is a worry.12-0-0 isnt a pure iron source. The nitrogen will cause excessive topgrowth, etc.......

7. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I've been looking at Iron for Centipede/St. Augustine and found a product called "Perk-Up" available at our local garden shop. The iron is 9% slow active and 1% quick acting. Looks promising. A little high in price at about $20/50lb bag. Roy

8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferromec ac 15-0-0 by gordons

9. Mattcurry

I was using the non staining FE from lesco, was costing me $120
    for 5 gallons. I was using it at 2.5 gallons per 200 gallons in my drop tank and the results are no where NEAR my 12-0-0 drop tank. The 12-0-0 drop tank also only costs 20$ compared to the 60$ with the non staining FE.

So as far as results i like the 12-0-0 much more for turf..... i dont use any iron on my ornamentals besides granular slow release 8-10-10 for all the acid loving plants. Im in FL so.....

And yes i do stay away from cement, sidewalks, houses, pavers, white fences ect ect with my 12-0-0 lol.

10. Mattcurry

Where can i get this product and what is the cost?