Anyone have comments on 36' Wright Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greengiant9963, Mar 16, 2005.

1. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to buy a 36' inch stander this season for my smaller lawns and homes with small gates. Would be interested in getting to know the good and bad points to this mower? Never have opperated one before but I like the compact design. Thanks.

2. ACA Landscaping

ACA Landscaping LawnSite Member

I got a chance to try a 36" for a week one time when my supplier was pushing me to buy one and told me how great they were, but i didn't like it at all. even though i know its all about getting used to it before you can really be good on it even after a week i still wasn't sold on it. and man don't even think about trying to cut any kind of hill or slope with it!!! they are really quick compared to a walk behind but found them to be very aukward, i decided to go with a 48 scag tiger cub instead and love it ! gets into every gate but 1 out of 90 accounts and will mow circles around a wright stander. great for getting into places and for smaller pieces that the 61 promaster just to big for, but just my personal opinion and for my particular accounts. i see alot of them around so somebodys got to like them.sure somebody else will chime in. good luck what are you using now? take care

3. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you mean about the scag turf tiger. I have 2 exmarks. I 52 and a 60 inch lazer. The riders are the way to go. One thing that I do not like about the Stander I must say that they are a bit expensive. They want around $5,000 for a 36 stander here. You can almost get a 44 inch rider for that.

4. Hedge

Hedge LawnSite Member

Well I just bought one this season. On sale for 4437.17 with tax and all, no payments for 1 year no interest 1 year. I've had it about a week now. My first ZTR mower.....and I love this mower!!! I even like yellow now, its crazy!

I can't really speak about the realibility yet, but it came with a 2 year warranty so we will see. But from what I found on the net realiability shouldn't be a problem. It feels very solid, has a nice ride, and is everything I heard it was. I have the 15 horse Kawi and its plenty of power for what it sounds like you have in mind for it. And its enough for what I need.
    I would like to have a different height adjustment but this design is bullet proof and real quick once you get it down(I use the ramp method) besides I try to keep it the same as much as possible ;) It cuts very nice even at full speed through thick grass and weeds. My biggest problem; and its not that bad really, is tearing up yards on turns. But i'm getting better everyday.
    I got the mulching plate,100 bucks :( but its worth it cause this thing mulches very nice. I plan on getting the leaf bagger this fall to try out, maybe

At this point I can't really say anything negative about this machine except that in my area they are just catching on really I suppose so no one knows about them or don't use them. Only 1 dealer here but he is real close to me so its good I suppose. Haven't had to get parts or service from them but they have been here a while and seem like good people. Hills are a little weird at first but I don't have many big hills on my accounts. I know my production is up, and fatigue is down. I have gotten so much more done lately and done it faster than ever.

If you have some specific questions list them i'll see what I can answer. But in general, this is a great machine, and worth every penny to me. Research it more but if you think you could benefit from this type of mower this is definetly a nice one. Peace

5. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

I,ve seen a very similar machine from Great Dane with a floating deck you should check that out too. I've run a 36" Wright for the last 2 seasons and am very pleased overall. It is a PIA to change cutting height and it is not great on slopes. I keep a wb for the steep stuff, but the Wright is nearly twice as fast and less fatiguing to use in most areas. It is possible to take one hand off the controls without stopping (to swat mosquitos). It is about 2 feet shorter than a wb so it fits nicely on the trailer. As a solo I would mow 8-10 lawns a day with a 1 day record of 17 using a hydro wb. As a 2 man crew using the Wright and the wb we do about 15 lawns a day with a 1 day record of 32.