Anyone have exerience with Komatsu backhoes?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mow king, Sep 10, 2013.

1. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I need a machine for moving around palletized material weighing 5000k lbs or less in a loose stone parking lot.

I was/still might buy a telehandler but I was thinking a backhoe should do that job no problem? I could also use the machine to plow snow in the winter and for trenching in the summer time.

For about the same money seems like a lot more useful machine - Thoughts on this?

More specifically this machine caught my eye: 4x4, heated cab, and local!.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/hvo/4056999736.html

[​IMG]

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

not sure what the specs are on that machine, but I've seen plenty of worn out backhoes struggle with 3k lb pallets.. I think 5k would be pushing it on an older machine unless it's in really good condition and rated high enough.

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never run a Komatsu but a Case 580 I used a while back struggled to get 4500lbs of pipe off my trailer.

4. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I demoed one a few years ago and it bounced so bad in travel mode it was never an option.

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Komatsu had serious issues with premature wear and cracking in the back hoe and main swing pin. They are just nightmares to rebuild and re-bush. A good acid test is to lift the machine up with just the main boom and watch for wiggling in all backhoe pivot points.
    Posted via Mobile Device